1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Optimization in Several Variables

1. Dec 10, 2008 #1
    F(x,y) = (2*y+1)*e^(x^2-y)
    Find critical point and prove there is only one.
    Use second derivative test to determine nature of crit. pt.

I know the procedure in solving it: set partial derivatives to zero and solve resulting equations. And by second derivative test, if D>0, f(a,b) is local min/max; D<0, (a,b) is saddle point. if f_xx(a,b)>0, f(a,b) is min
    where D=D(a,b)=f_xx(a,b)f_yy(a,b)-f_xy(a,b)^2

I have no idea how to get the partial derivatives and start the problem. Any help will be appreciated, thanks.
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

To take a partial derivative, you just treat one of either x or y as a constant, and differentiate with respect to the other one. So for example if the function was f(x,y) = x2y2 + x3 the partial derivative with respect to x is

2xy2 + 3x2

and with respect to y

4. Dec 10, 2008 #3
    Well yea I know that.. I meant I did not know how to get the partials specifically for the function I posted above : F(x,y) = (2*y+1)*e^(x^2-y).
    Is dF/dx = (2*y+1)*e^(x^2-y)*2*x ? and dF/dy = ?
  5. Dec 10, 2008 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes. To find dF/dy, use the product rule. What are d(2y+1)/dy and de^(x^2-y)/y separately?
  6. Dec 10, 2008 #5
    d(2y+1)/dy= 2
    de^(x^2-y)/dy = -e^(x^2-y)
    so by product rule, dF/dy= 2*e^(x^2-y) ?
  7. Dec 10, 2008 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The product rule is d(f*g)/dy = df/dy*g + dg/dy*f not df/dy*dg/dy
  8. Dec 10, 2008 #7
    So dF/dy= (2y+1)*(-e^(x^2-y) + 2*(e^(x^2-y)) ?
  9. Dec 10, 2008 #8

Staff: Mentor

Technically speaking, the two first derivatives are partial derivatives [tex]\frac{\partial{F}}{\partial{x}}[/tex] and [tex]\frac{\partial{F}}{\partial{y}}[/tex], also written as [tex]F_x[/tex] and [tex]F_y[/tex].
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?