Optimization isosceles triangle problem

In summary, the goal is to find the angle theta that maximizes the area of an isosceles triangle with leg length l. After using right angle trigonometry to break the triangle into two halves, the area formula was found to be A=l^2*sin(theta/2)*cos(theta/2). However, when taking the derivative, there were too many variables. It was later realized that l is a constant, and after solving for theta, it was determined that theta should be 90 degrees for the maximum area.
physstudent1

Homework Statement

Find the angle theta that maximizes the area of an isosceles triangle whose legs have length l. The angle is the top angle if the left and right sides are l coming to a point with the bottom leg horizontal.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I broke the triangle up into two halves to use right angle trig and eventually got the area to equal A=l^2 * sin(theta/2)*cos(theta/2). When I took the derivative though I realized that I would have too many variables. I think there's a way to solve for l in terms of theta or theta in terms of l but I'm not sure how to do it can anyone point me in the right direction.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you think you have to many variables? l is a constant. It's a constraint.

in that case I used 1/2*l^2*sin(theta) took the derivative got 1/2*l^2*cos(theta)=0 and got theta to be 90 degrees is this correct?

Yes, I think so.

1. What is the "Optimization isosceles triangle problem"?

The "Optimization isosceles triangle problem" is a mathematical problem that involves finding the dimensions of an isosceles triangle with a given perimeter that will result in the maximum area.

2. What is an isosceles triangle?

An isosceles triangle is a triangle with two equal sides and two equal angles.

3. Why is the "Optimization isosceles triangle problem" important?

The "Optimization isosceles triangle problem" is important because it has practical applications in fields such as engineering, architecture, and physics. It can also be used as a teaching tool to demonstrate mathematical concepts such as optimization and geometry.

4. How do you solve the "Optimization isosceles triangle problem"?

The problem can be solved using calculus by finding the derivative of the area formula and setting it equal to zero to find the maximum value. Another approach is to use the Pythagorean theorem to find the relationship between the sides and then use algebra to solve for the dimensions.

5. Can the "Optimization isosceles triangle problem" be applied to other shapes?

Yes, the concept of optimization can be applied to other shapes such as squares, rectangles, and circles. However, the specific methods for solving the problem may vary depending on the shape.