Optimization of sphere and cyliners (Electrical physics)

The question is whether the simplifications are mathematically justified, or just convenient. One key is Gauss's Law, which explains how to calculate the field at a point outside an object, without worrying about the details of the object. In summary, Gauss's Law can be used to justify the simplification of treating symmetrical insulating/conducting spheres and cylindrical shells as point charges or line charges, respectively, when calculating the outer electric field.
jlee167
I recently noticed that I have blindly used optimization in some problems that involve symmetrical insulating/conducting spheres and cylindrical shells.
For example, when calculating outer electric field caused by a spherical insulator/conductor, I just treated these as a simple point charge located at their center, and those ways rendered correct answers. Also, in a question involving an infinite cylindrical shell, (given charge density), I treated it as a simple line charge located at its center, and it also gave me a right answer. However, I am still not convinced how this works mathematically. Is it just a way of simplifying problem for faster calculation, or is there any theorem / definiton that fully explain the validity of this simplification?
I would appreciate some help

Physics news on Phys.org
Look up Gausses Law.

You've noticed that the "optimization" only works for simple geometries, and only outside the objects in question.

1. What is the purpose of optimizing spheres and cylinders in electrical physics?

The optimization of spheres and cylinders in electrical physics is done to improve their performance and efficiency in various applications. This can include maximizing their conductivity, minimizing energy loss, and enhancing their ability to transmit or store electrical charge.

2. How is optimization of spheres and cylinders achieved in electrical physics?

Optimization of spheres and cylinders in electrical physics is typically achieved through mathematical modeling and simulation techniques. This involves determining the optimal size, shape, and material composition of the sphere or cylinder to meet specific performance goals.

3. What factors are considered when optimizing spheres and cylinders in electrical physics?

When optimizing spheres and cylinders in electrical physics, factors such as the material properties, geometric dimensions, and electrical properties of the object are taken into account. Other considerations may include the surrounding environment, temperature, and desired performance metrics.

4. What are some common applications of optimized spheres and cylinders in electrical physics?

Optimized spheres and cylinders in electrical physics are used in a variety of applications, such as capacitors, antennas, transformers, and sensors. They are also commonly used in energy storage systems, electric motors, and electronic devices.

5. What are the potential benefits of optimizing spheres and cylinders in electrical physics?

The benefits of optimizing spheres and cylinders in electrical physics can include improved efficiency, increased performance, and reduced costs. By optimizing these objects, we can enhance their functionality and make them more suitable for various applications in different industries.