Optimization problem - Trouble differentiating function

In summary, the efficiency of a screw, E, is maximized when the angle of pitch, \Theta, is equal to 0 degrees.
Eonfluxx
Optimization problem -- Trouble differentiating function

Homework Statement

The efficiency of a screw, E, is given by
E=[tex]\frac{(\Theta - \mu\Theta^{2})}{\mu + \Theta} , \Theta > 0[/tex]
where [tex]\Theta[/tex] is the angle of pitch of the thread and [tex]\mu[/tex] is the coefficient of friction of the material, a (positive) constant. What value of [tex]\Theta[/tex] maximizes E?

Homework Equations

[tex]\frac{f'g-g'f}{g^{2}}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I know what to do once I have the derivative of the function, but for this particular function I've had trouble using the quotient rule (I didn't know how to turn it into the product rule, that would have been nice too). I came up with two possibilities and any help would be appreciated:
[tex]\frac{dE}{d\Theta}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{\mu - \mu^{2}2\Theta - \mu2\Theta^{2} - \Theta + \mu\Theta^{2}}{(\mu + \Theta)^{2}}[/tex]

and I also came up with

[tex]\frac{dE}{d\Theta}= \frac{-\mu2\Theta - 2\Theta^{2}}{(\mu + \Theta)^{2}}[/tex]

any help on which could be correct (or both wrong) would be greatly appreciated. I've read these forums a lot before and finally have a question of my own. Thanks for reading/help.

Physics news on Phys.org

I don't get either one.
[tex]\frac{d}{d\theta}\left(\frac{\theta - \mu \theta ^2}{\mu + \theta}\right)~=~\frac{(\mu + \theta)(1 - 2\mu \theta) - (\theta - \mu \theta ^2)(1)}{(\mu + \theta)^2}~=~\frac{\mu - 2\mu^2 \theta - \mu \theta^2}{(\mu + \theta)^2}[/tex]

Man, that's a lot of work to get all those Greek letters looking good!

Bah, I made a distributing error which would result in a -[tex]\Theta[/tex] and +[tex]\Theta[/tex] canceling out, thanks a lot!
And thanks, it makes it easier to read

Now when setting [tex]\frac{dE}{d\Theta}[/tex] equal to zero I came up with:

[tex]\Theta[/tex] = [tex]\frac{-\mu}{-2\mu^{2} - \mu\Theta}[/tex]

Is this correct? Thanks again for reading/help

No, for the reason that you haven't really solved for theta - it's still present on the right side of your equation.
[tex]\mu - 2\mu^2 \theta - \mu \theta^2~=~ 0[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow \mu (1 - 2\mu \theta - \theta^2)~=~ 0[/tex]

So either [itex]\mu[/itex] = 0 or the quadratic is 0. Use the quadratic formula to solve
[tex]\theta^2 + 2\mu \theta - 1 ~=~ 0[/tex]
(I switched the signs to make solving it easier. Both equations have the same solutions.)

Got it, thanks again! I'll be back in the future

1. What is an optimization problem?

An optimization problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding the best solution out of all possible solutions. The goal is to maximize or minimize a given function, subject to certain constraints or conditions.

2. How do you identify an optimization problem?

An optimization problem can be identified by looking for keywords such as "maximize," "minimize," "optimize," or "find the best." It typically involves an objective function and one or more constraints that must be satisfied.

3. What is the difference between a local and global optimum in an optimization problem?

A local optimum is the best possible solution in a specific region of the function, while a global optimum is the best possible solution out of all possible solutions. It is possible for a local optimum to not be the global optimum in an optimization problem.

4. How do you differentiate a function in an optimization problem?

To differentiate a function in an optimization problem, you can use the rules of differentiation, such as the power rule, product rule, and chain rule. These rules allow you to find the derivative of the function, which is used to find the critical points and optimize the function.

5. What are some common applications of optimization problems?

Optimization problems have many applications in various fields, including engineering, economics, computer science, and physics. Some common examples include maximizing profit in a business, minimizing cost in manufacturing processes, and optimizing routes in transportation and logistics.