1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Optimization: Rectangle Inscribed in Triangle

1. Jun 2, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] Optimization: Rectangle Inscribed in Triangle

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Please see this link. The problem I have is pretty much exactly the same as that dealt with in this excerpt.

(focus on the bit with the heading "What is the biggest rectangle you can put inside a triangle")

2. Relevant equations

Shown in the link above.

3. The attempt at a solution

I basically want someone to please explain why we need not use a derivative. As you can see, the last sentence is chopped off and leaves me hanging. :smile:
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 2, 2008 #2
    We see that x(a-x) is maximum if and only if after completing the square [tex](x-\frac{a}{2})^2 =0[/tex] for when x=? Therefore, the maximum rectangle has a height of what?
  4. Jun 2, 2008 #3
    Sorry, I didn't really answer your question. You don't need to use the derivative to find the maximum values of x and y because by completing the squares you can find the maximum value of x. Then, you can use x to find the area of that maximum triangle in terms of the area of the triangle.
  5. Jun 2, 2008 #4
    Could you still use a derivative though?
  6. Jun 2, 2008 #5
    "We need not use a derivative" does not imply that we can't use a derivative to solve for maximum x. So, yes you can use a derivative.
  7. Jun 2, 2008 #6
    Thank you very much for your help konthelion. I'm going to give it a shot using derivatives (I know nothing about completing the squares) and if you don't mind, I'd like you to have a peek at it as soon as I get round to posting it here...
  8. Jun 2, 2008 #7

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It's very strange that a person would be able to use the derivative (a calculus topic) but not know how to complete the square (an algebra topic).
  9. Jun 3, 2008 #8
    I know the quadratic equation, but never learnt how it was derived (after some googling yesterday, I realised it's the result of completing the square)

Were never taught it in school. Also, there's an eight year gap between the last time I did any maths and starting my BSc in Physics this year...

It's tough going :smile:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?