Optimization using differentiation

A = xyIn summary, The conversation involves solving for the area when given the equation 3x + y = 3000 and the additional information that y = 1000/x. The area is then found to be A = xy and can be further calculated by finding the domain, getting the derivative, and plugging in values for x and y. The conversation also discusses why y = 1000/x and how it relates to finding the maximum area.
A_Munk3y

Homework Statement

http://i53.tinypic.com/1zu5ty.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

well so far, all i got is 3x + y = 3000; also y = 1000/x ==>> 3x+ (1000/x) = 3000

i don't know what the area should be though...
would it be A=x2y

If i am right in that, would i do this after

i should get the domain
get derivative
plug in x to original equation to get abs max. Also plug in x to the equation of "y" to get the #?

Physics news on Phys.org
why y=1000/x ??
Area=xy ---> this needs to be differentiated, which would yield the value to x or y

so the area would be xy??

yes...it should be

1. What is optimization using differentiation?

Optimization using differentiation is a mathematical technique that involves finding the maximum or minimum value of a function by using the derivative. It is used in various fields such as engineering, economics, and physics to solve real-world problems and improve the efficiency of systems.

2. What is the difference between local and global optimization using differentiation?

Local optimization using differentiation involves finding the maximum or minimum value of a function within a specific range or interval, while global optimization involves finding the maximum or minimum value of a function over its entire domain. Local optimization is used when the function has a single critical point, while global optimization is used when the function has multiple critical points.

3. What is the significance of the critical points in optimization using differentiation?

Critical points are the points where the derivative of a function is equal to zero or undefined. These points are important in optimization using differentiation because they indicate where the function has a maximum or minimum value. By finding and analyzing the critical points, we can determine the optimal solution to a problem.

4. How is the first derivative test used in optimization using differentiation?

The first derivative test is used to determine whether a critical point is a maximum or minimum value. By evaluating the sign of the derivative at the critical point, we can determine if it is a local maximum (derivative changes from positive to negative) or a local minimum (derivative changes from negative to positive).

5. What are some real-world applications of optimization using differentiation?

Optimization using differentiation has various real-world applications, such as minimizing cost and maximizing profit in economics, optimizing routes for transportation and logistics, and finding the optimum design for structures and systems in engineering. It is also used in data analysis and machine learning to optimize algorithms and improve performance.