Options After Getting Undergrad Physics Degree

In summary, the person is considering majoring in physics and pursuing a pre-med track in college. They are also interested in potential career options, including med school, industry, and government jobs. However, they are aware that the chances of obtaining a job in physics research are low and that a degree in physics can also lead to careers in finance, defense analysis, and engineering.
Chevron
I'm about to go to college in one year, so I'm trying to figure out what I want to do (which college I want to go to, what major, etc.) Right now, I am most likely looking at majoring in physics and doing the pre-med track. Of course, though, this is only tentative...who knows what I'll want to do in a year or so?! :tongue: But, as it stands with my current plan, I'll pursue my physics degree and then apply to med schools in the U.S. What I want to know is, if med school doesn't end up working out for me, what are some possible options for. And, if I were to continue my physics career and get a Ph.D. in some area of physics, what career options are open to me, assuming I'm willing to expand my education into areas of computer science, mathematics, etc. I know that the chances of me receiving professorship at a university is extremely low, so I'd like to view more of the industry and government jobs available.

Physics news on Phys.org
Chevron said:
I'm about to go to college in one year, so I'm trying to figure out what I want to do (which college I want to go to, what major, etc.) Right now, I am most likely looking at majoring in physics and doing the pre-med track. Of course, though, this is only tentative...who knows what I'll want to do in a year or so?! :tongue: But, as it stands with my current plan, I'll pursue my physics degree and then apply to med schools in the U.S. What I want to know is, if med school doesn't end up working out for me, what are some possible options for. And, if I were to continue my physics career and get a Ph.D. in some area of physics, what career options are open to me, assuming I'm willing to expand my education into areas of computer science, mathematics, etc. I know that the chances of me receiving professorship at a university is extremely low, so I'd like to view more of the industry and government jobs available.

Study physics if you love it, but be aware that the only physicists I know who have jobs doing physics research are the superstars. It's almost like professional sports in that way. It's hard to get a post-doc and even harder to get a full time job.

However, learning physics is a great foundation for finance-type and quantitative jobs both in industry and government. I would hazard a guess that as many physics Ph.Ds go into finance and defense analysis as go into physics after graduation.

A physics undergrad is also a good foundation for engineering grad studies but be aware you will have to take some additional remedial courses when you get to grad school.

Getting into med school while a physics student will be hard, but if you can pull it off you'll have a great foundation.

Good luck!

1. What career options are available with an undergraduate degree in physics?

An undergraduate degree in physics can open up a wide range of career options, including research positions in academia or industry, teaching, engineering, data analysis, and more. Many physics graduates also go on to pursue advanced degrees in fields such as physics, engineering, or applied mathematics.

2. Are there any non-science careers that I can pursue with a physics degree?

Yes, a physics degree can also be valuable in non-science fields such as finance, consulting, or patent law. The analytical and problem-solving skills developed through studying physics are highly transferable and can be applied in various industries.

3. What skills does a physics degree develop that are useful in the job market?

A physics degree can develop a range of skills that are highly valued by employers, including critical thinking, problem-solving, data analysis, and communication. Additionally, the ability to work with complex systems and think abstractly can be applied in many different industries.

4. Do I need a graduate degree to have a successful career in physics?

While many job opportunities in physics require advanced degrees, there are also opportunities for those with just an undergraduate degree. It is important to consider your career goals and research the specific requirements for the positions you are interested in.

5. How can I prepare for a career in physics while still in my undergraduate program?

There are several ways to prepare for a career in physics while completing your undergraduate degree. You can gain research experience through internships or working with faculty members, attend conferences and networking events to connect with professionals in the field, and take courses that align with your interests and career goals.