1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Shooting Method Boundary Problem

1. Apr 14, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

y"+xy'=cos(2x), y(0)=1, y'(5)+2y(5)=10

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I am trying to solve this using matlab. I split the 2nd order d.e. into 2 first order d.e.'s. I set y1=y, and y2= dy/dx. Thus dy1/dx=y2 and dy2/dx= cos(2x)-x*y2. Then dy/dt= [y2; cos(2x)-x*y2].

X spans from 0 to 5, which comes easily from the problem.
    I know that y1(0)= 0 easily.

I cannot fathom what to make of the second initial condition. I thought of integrating dy2/dx but I can't get an answer. I really have no idea where I should go.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2012 #2
    You could find the Greens function for it?
    First make sure your BC.S are homogeneous. I use L to represent the operator i.e. differentiate twice plus x time diff. once :
    [itex]\hat{L}y_{total}= \hat{L}\{\phi + y_{homogen}\} = \cos(2x)\\
    \hat{L}\phi = \hat{L}\{y_{total} - y_{hom}\}
    [/itex]
    By definition the total solution and the homogeneous sol. have the inhomogeneous BCS so the particular solution phi has homogeneous.
    So if you use Greens then the solution is [itex] y_{total} = y_{homogen} +\int\limits_{0}^5 f(x')G(x,x')\,\text{d}x'[/itex]

4. Apr 15, 2012 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you are working "analytically", just solve the problem using initial conditions y(0) = 1 and y'(0) = a, an unknown constant. Now solve the DE out to x = 5 and write y(5) + y'(5) in terms of your parameter 'a'. If you are working purely numerically you can do something similar, starting with a trial value of y'(0) and seeing what happens at x = 5, then adjusting the value of y'(0) up or down as needed (using methods available in the literature to figure out what to do).

RGV

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook