1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Orbit that does not need maneuvering

1. Oct 16, 2016 #1
    Hi!

This is a textbook problem that I need help with (I want to practice as much as I can before the exams) and I hope that there is someone who can guide me. The question is:
    You’re doing a first-order analysis on a new satellite in an elliptical (e = 0.2) orbit at 700 km altitude. Can you design the orbit so no maneuvers are necessary to maintain it? Hint: consider secular J2 perturbations only – can the effects of Ω counteract with ω? If it can’t be done at 700 km, is another altitude feasible?

2. Relevant equations
    See below

3. The attempt at a solution
    I used the following equations (for J2 perturbations) :
    upload_2016-10-16_21-36-42.png

And for p and n:
    upload_2016-10-16_21-36-36.png

I inserted n and p into the first two equations and got:

upload_2016-10-16_21-37-26.png

I assumed that they were all constant, so I ended up with:
    upload_2016-10-16_21-39-17.pngupload_2016-10-16_21-39-31.png

And this gave me of i1 = 90° and i2=63°. If we have these inclinations then there is no need for maneuvering. And now for the next question:

The next question to answer is can the effects of Ω counteract with ω? If it can’t be done at 700 km, is another altitude feasible? I have no idea how to answer this question.

As you can see I may be completely lost. I don't see my solution feasible since it doesn't actually answer the question about the no maneuvering bit. Anyone that can help me? Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2016 #2
    Anyone that can help? : (

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted