Ordinary Differential Equations

• Thread starter sassie
  • Start date

Homework Statement

Give the general solution to the IVP

L[y]=y'+(sint)y=[tex]\delta[/tex](t-[tex]\tau[/tex])
y(0)=0

For all t>0 by placing a jump condition on y(t) and solving the differential equation for t<[tex]\tau[/tex] and t>[tex]\tau[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm plenty sure I can get the general solution to the problem, but I do not at all know how to get the "jump condition" as it wasn't explained in lectures or in the textbook. Your help is very much appreciated.

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

vela
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Integrate the differential equation from [itex]\tau-\varepsilon[/itex] to [itex]\tau+\varepsilon[/itex] and take the limit as [itex]\varepsilon\rightarrow 0[/itex]. That will give you a result that tells you how big the discontinuity in y(t) is at [itex]t=\tau[/itex].

Integrate the differential equation from [itex]\tau-\varepsilon[/itex] to [itex]\tau+\varepsilon[/itex] and take the limit as [itex]\varepsilon\rightarrow 0[/itex]. That will give you a result that tells you how big the discontinuity in y(t) is at [itex]t=\tau[/itex].

So what would we get when we integrate [tex]\delta[/tex](t-[tex]\tau[/tex])? would it be 1?

vela
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Yes, because the interval of integration includes the point [itex]t=\tau[/itex].