1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Organic chemistry determing nucleophile strength

1. Oct 29, 2008 #1
    this isn't exactly an specific question but a general one. I know that weak bases make good nucleophiles but how do I determine what bases are the weakest, what is weak enough to be considered a "good nucleophile" I'm a little confused please help thanks a lot!
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In general the more basic an agent is the more nucleophilic , however there are other factors to consider besides basicity. Your teacher is probably not going to get specific , just know the common bases that are considered weak or strong.
  4. Oct 31, 2008 #3
    To determine base strength you need to look at the pKa value for the molecules conjugate acid (add an H+ to the molecule). If the conjugate acid has a low pKa (strong acid) then the original molecule is a weak base...and high pKa=strong base.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?