1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Organic chemistry, naming cycloalkenes

1. Sep 26, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

organic.jpg

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Shouldnt the name for that be 3-fluoro-2-methyl cyclopentene instead of 4-fluoro-3-methyl cyclopentene ?, if not can someone explain to me why ?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2013 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

From the IUPAC rules:

4. Sep 27, 2013 #3
    The carbon at the top, on the tip of the pentagon, because if you number clockwise from that carbon the methyl will be on the second carbon and the fluoroide on the third.

5. Sep 27, 2013 #4

DrClaude

Did you read the rule? Let me quote again: the double bond carbons are assigned ring locations #1 and #2. If you number the top carbon #1, then you have to go counter-clockwise for the other double-bond carbon to be #2.

6. Sep 27, 2013 #5
    Oh, I see it now, so it should definately be 4-fluoro-3-methyl cyclopentene. Thanks for making it more clearer :approve:

7. Sep 27, 2013 #6

DrClaude

Just to add a further point of detail: if you take the top C to be #1 and go counter-clockwise, you get 4-fluoro-5-methyl cyclopentene. The nearest substituent rule then tells you to set the top C to #2 and count clockwise to get 4-fluoro-3-methyl cyclopentene.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted