Alphabetical Order for Alkanes with Halogens and Alkyl Groups

  • Thread starter Thread starter Veronica_Oles
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Groups
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Veronica_Oles
Messages
141
Reaction score
3

Homework Statement


For chemistry I have to name alkanes, however there is this one that I am unsure of. This one consists of both alkyl groups and halogens. Would I make my alkyl group the lowest possible number or my halogen group, or does it not matter as long as I use the lowest possible number? And does the alphabetical rule apply if I have a halogen and an alkyl group or would I put my alkyl group first because of the 'priority order'?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution


I do think I have to use the lowest possible number no matter if it's an alkyl group or a halogen, can someone tell me if I'm correct. And the alphabetical order I am unsure of the reason why is because I am seeing an alkane named "2-methyl-4-chloro-5-bromononane" and this is not alphabetical.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
ok let me help you in understanding the rules ...first and most important rule is lowest number to the substituents ..in your example they have followed lowest sum rule ..you need not to worry about the alphabets
Next question is where I need to worry for alphabets :
let me help you with example
I CH2CH2CH2Cl
now in this case there is a tie ..both substituents can get the lowest same number ...in this case alphabetically Chloro will the get the highest priority .
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Veronica_Oles
chemtopper said:
ok let me help you in understanding the rules ...first and most important rule is lowest number to the substituents ..in your example they have followed lowest sum rule ..you need not to worry about the alphabets
Next question is where I need to worry for alphabets :
let me help you with example
I CH2CH2CH2Cl
now in this case there is a tie ..both substituents can get the lowest same number ...in this case alphabetically Chloro will the get the highest priority .
Okay thanks for the help.