Alphabetical Order for Alkanes with Halogens and Alkyl Groups

• Thread starter Veronica_Oles
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Groups
In summary, the rules for naming alkanes state that the lowest possible number should be given to the substituents, regardless of whether it is an alkyl group or a halogen. In cases where there is a tie, the alphabetical rule applies, with the substituent with the higher alphabetical priority being given the lowest number.
Veronica_Oles

Homework Statement

For chemistry I have to name alkanes, however there is this one that I am unsure of. This one consists of both alkyl groups and halogens. Would I make my alkyl group the lowest possible number or my halogen group, or does it not matter as long as I use the lowest possible number? And does the alphabetical rule apply if I have a halogen and an alkyl group or would I put my alkyl group first because of the 'priority order'?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I do think I have to use the lowest possible number no matter if it's an alkyl group or a halogen, can someone tell me if I'm correct. And the alphabetical order I am unsure of the reason why is because I am seeing an alkane named "2-methyl-4-chloro-5-bromononane" and this is not alphabetical.

Physics news on Phys.org
ok let me help you in understanding the rules ...first and most important rule is lowest number to the substituents ..in your example they have followed lowest sum rule ..you need not to worry about the alphabets
Next question is where I need to worry for alphabets :
let me help you with example
I CH2CH2CH2Cl
now in this case there is a tie ..both substituents can get the lowest same number ...in this case alphabetically Chloro will the get the highest priority .

Likes Veronica_Oles
chemtopper said:
ok let me help you in understanding the rules ...first and most important rule is lowest number to the substituents ..in your example they have followed lowest sum rule ..you need not to worry about the alphabets
Next question is where I need to worry for alphabets :
let me help you with example
I CH2CH2CH2Cl
now in this case there is a tie ..both substituents can get the lowest same number ...in this case alphabetically Chloro will the get the highest priority .
Okay thanks for the help.

1. What is alphabetical order for alkanes with halogens and alkyl groups?

Alphabetical order for alkanes with halogens and alkyl groups is a way to arrange organic compounds, specifically alkanes with halogen substituents (such as chlorine, bromine, or iodine) and alkyl groups (such as methyl, ethyl, or propyl), in a specific order based on the first letter of their names.

2. Why is alphabetical order important for alkanes with halogens and alkyl groups?

Alphabetical order is important for alkanes with halogens and alkyl groups because it helps to organize and classify these compounds in a systematic way. This can be especially useful in chemistry and other scientific fields where precise identification and categorization of compounds is necessary.

3. How is alphabetical order determined for alkanes with halogens and alkyl groups?

Alphabetical order for alkanes with halogens and alkyl groups is determined by arranging the compounds in ascending order based on the first letter of their names. If the first letter is the same, then the second letter is compared, and so on until a difference is found. The compound with the first letter closest to the beginning of the alphabet is placed first in the order.

4. Are there any exceptions to alphabetical order for alkanes with halogens and alkyl groups?

Yes, there are a few exceptions to alphabetical order for alkanes with halogens and alkyl groups. For example, if a compound has the same number of halogens and alkyl groups, the halogen is typically placed before the alkyl group in the name. Additionally, if there are multiple halogen or alkyl substituents, they are listed in alphabetical order following the parent alkane name.

5. How is alphabetical order used in naming alkanes with halogens and alkyl groups?

Alphabetical order plays a crucial role in the naming of alkanes with halogens and alkyl groups. The compound name is determined by listing the substituents in alphabetical order, with the halogen(s) listed before the alkyl group(s). This is followed by the parent alkane name and the appropriate numerical prefixes and suffixes to indicate the number and position of the substituents, respectively.