Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Organic food is a topic for pseudoscience?

1. Sep 13, 2010 #1
    I need to write 3-5 paragraph for a topic about science, non-science reported like science , or pseudoscience.

I want to know if Organic food is a topic for pseudoscience? If so, what should I write about?

I want to write how healthy organic food are, better tasting, chemical-free, etc.
    This is important because this is a presentation.. 5-10 minutes to present to the class.
    There are about 20 students in class. I want to use power point explaining the aspects.
    I just started taking biology classes, so I don't know exactly what pseudoscience is.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2010 #2

bobze

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: Pseudoscience.

Probably investigating the answers to these questions would better serve your education, methinks....

Edit: To help guide you I'd start with scholarly/professional/academic bodies (like the National Academy of Science or National Science Foundation) and see what they have to say on the matter.

4. Sep 13, 2010 #3

turbo

Gold Member

What is pseudoscientific about wanting to buy and eat food that has no residues of fungicides/pesticides, etc? Methinks you're grabbing the wrong end of the stick.

5. Sep 13, 2010 #4

Why not go for something obviously pseudoscientific, such as the "raw food only" movement, or the crap that Deepak Chopra sells? In addition, this should really be in homework help...

6. Sep 13, 2010 #5

Raw food only sounds good! What should I write about.

7. Sep 13, 2010 #6

Nah ahh ahhhhh... you have to figure that out. I'd consider what it is that "raw foodies" think they gain by their practice, and compare it with actual outcomes. That's where to start... if you have specific medical questions I'd be happy to engage, but as this is homework, we must be careful on this site. I do like the idea of you doing this however.

8. Sep 13, 2010 #7

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Chemical-free food is one of my favorite idiocies. It deserves much more than just 3-5 paragraphs, although you may need to shape it correctly to fit the subject.

9. Sep 13, 2010 #8

Pythagorean

Gold Member

Hollow Earth Society!

10. Sep 13, 2010 #9

Alchemy is a classic pseudoscience. Lots of material I imagine.

Actually I second the Hollow Earth Society.

11. Sep 13, 2010 #10

turbo

Gold Member

How about homeopathic medicines? That alone is good for pages and pages, especially when you get into the claims that repeated dilutions actually make the "medications" more potent. Google it and see.

12. Sep 13, 2010 #11

Borek

Astrology, numerology, palm/entrails/dregs reading.

13. Sep 13, 2010 #12

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't think I'd like an apple without methyl butyrate.

14. Sep 13, 2010 #13

Borek

I wouldn't put it better :rofl:

15. Sep 13, 2010 #14

Lets take the reading of entrails to the logical extreme and shock his class: anthropomancy. :biggrin:

16. Sep 13, 2010 #15

bobze

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't know? Maybe without all those "fungicides or pesticides or bactericides" you're more likely to eat something, like one of those organisms they were put there to kill?

17. Sep 13, 2010 #16

bobze

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

All those evil mass production, chemical using food companies suck-- Till you get dysentery :eek:

18. Sep 13, 2010 #17

The problem is that I don't know what to write about as I don't know what's pseudoscience exactly! I don't know what they do.

PS: I just started taking Biology for the first time a week ago.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2010
  19. Sep 13, 2010 #18

From wikipedia:

"Pseudoscience is a methodology, belief, or practice that is claimed to be scientific, or that is made to appear to be scientific, but which does not adhere to an appropriate scientific methodology, lacks supporting evidence or plausibility, or otherwise lacks scientific status. The term is inherently pejorative, because it is used to assert that something is being inaccurately or deceptively portrayed as science, Accordingly, those labeled as practicing or advocating pseudoscience normally dispute the characterization.

Pseudoscience has been characterised by the use of vague, exaggerated or untestable claims, over-reliance on confirmation rather than refutation, lack of openness to testing by other experts, and a lack of progress in theory development. There is disagreement among philosophers of science and commentators in the scientific community as to whether there is a reliable way of distinguishing pseudoscience from non-mainstream science. Paul DeHart Hurd, who is among the science educators who have taught courses on the topic, wrote that part of gaining scientific literacy is being able to tell science apart from "pseudo-science, such as astrology, quackery, the occult, and superstition"."

The heart of real science is that it consist of methodology's that provide testable predictions. Nothing in the world is real nor is it properly understood at all. This is why theorys are constantly changeing and being tested. Scientific theorys therefore must be robust ideas that we use to chart the unknown. Scientific theorys like say gravity arent true but give us a good handle to grasp the world with. Again by testing a theory like gravity from every direction we are pokeing and proding it from every direction in order to make sure it fits what is observed as closely as possible.

Psuedoscience is the direct opposite. Creationism, astorology, ect are mans attempts to limit and control the scary unkowns instead of making them known. Creationism is incapable of making predictions that can be tested and so is a psuedoscience. Astrology is testable and consistantly fails miserably and so is a psuedoscience.

Hope that helps a little.

20. Sep 13, 2010 #19

Another way to tell what pseudoscience is:

Listen to some Feynman lectures... then listen to a "quantum guru". The former should make your head throb a bit, the latter your stomach churn.

In addition, when dealing with pseudoscience you'll often find that you detect a strong odor of manure. :biggrin:

21. Sep 14, 2010 #20

Borek

I think you are still missing the point.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook