Organic reaction mechanism help -- Looking for resources

In summary: List_of_organic_reactions_of_the_20th_centuryhttps://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2776647/In summary, the original reference to this assignment was difficult to find and no journal articles showed the mechanism or development of evidence for any named reaction.
ReidMerrill
I have an assignment in which I must find a named reaction, the original reference to it, and show what experimental evidence was used to develop the reactions mechanism. So far I've had no luck finding anything. It's hard enough finding the original reference and so far I haven't been able to find any journal articles showing the mechanism or the development of if for any named reaction.

Does anyone know any good and free resources that could help me with this?

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Chemistry news on Phys.org
ReidMerrill said:
a named reaction, the original reference to it, and show what experimental evidence was used to develop the reactions mechanism. So far I've had no luck finding anything.
Methinks you're pulling a "Tom Sawyer." Crack a book, and get back to us.

I'm not asking answers. I've literally been looking up named reactions in a few databases and I haven't came up with anything useful

Have you tried following the references?

Bystander said:
Have you tried following the references?
Yes. Unfortunately a large portion of them are pay-walled.

"Name(d) reactions" pay-walled? Which names? Unless there's been a big change in the way JOC, JACS, and other major journals operate, doesn't strike me as credible.

ReidMerrill said:
Yes. Unfortunately a large portion of them are pay-walled.
Doesn't your institution have access?

Bystander said:
"Name(d) reactions" pay-walled? Which names? Unless there's been a big change in the way JOC, JACS, and other major journals operate, doesn't strike me as credible.
Most ACS journals (and most journals in general) require a subscription, either institutional or individual. Typically, an individual subscription is prohibitively expensive (several hundred dollars per journal title), so if your institution doesn't have a subscription, you're kind of screwed.

To the OP: what name reactions are you considering? Often, the person who discovers the reaction is not necessarily the person who elucidates the mechanism.

ReidMerrill said:
I have an assignment in which I must find a named reaction, the original reference to it, and show what experimental evidence was used to develop the reactions mechanism. So far I've had no luck finding anything. It's hard enough finding the original reference and so far I haven't been able to find any journal articles showing the mechanism or the development of if for any named reaction.

Does anyone know any good and free resources that could help me with this?

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

That's a very mean assignment given by your teacher if you are not in college or in corporation where they have contracts with major publishers allowing people in the institution to read them for free.

Your only chance is to look for open access journals or papers.

1. What is organic reaction mechanism?

Organic reaction mechanism refers to the step-by-step process by which organic molecules undergo chemical reactions to form new products. It involves the breaking and formation of chemical bonds, and the movement of electrons within the reacting molecules.

2. Why is understanding organic reaction mechanism important?

Understanding organic reaction mechanism is important because it allows scientists to predict and control the outcome of chemical reactions. This knowledge is crucial in the development of new drugs, materials, and other important products. It also helps in understanding how natural processes occur in living organisms.

3. What are some resources for learning about organic reaction mechanism?

Some resources for learning about organic reaction mechanism include textbooks, online courses, scientific journals, and websites of reputable universities or research institutions. There are also many helpful videos and interactive simulations available online.

4. How can I improve my understanding of organic reaction mechanism?

To improve your understanding of organic reaction mechanism, it is important to first have a strong foundation in basic chemistry concepts. You can also practice solving reaction mechanisms, study real-life examples, and seek guidance from experienced scientists or tutors.

5. Are there any online tools or software for predicting reaction mechanisms?

Yes, there are many online tools and software available for predicting reaction mechanisms. These include programs such as ChemDraw and ChemOffice, as well as websites like Reaxys and ChemSpider. However, it is important to remember that these tools should be used as a guide, and not as a substitute for understanding the underlying principles of organic reaction mechanism.