Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Organising .pdf files for ease of access.

1. Oct 28, 2009 #1
    Hello

I am trying to sort the numerous PDF files I have in a folder, not written by me, and mostly journal articles that I have downloaded. I am having two problems with this:

1. Windows (7) does not allow me to add "author" or "year" properties to these files, although I have placed them in a folder customised specifically for documents. I find this odd since it lets me add these specific columns on the folder view. I would ideally like it to happen automatically as the year of publication at least is contained in the PDF file, but failing this I can't even enter the information manually.

2. Failing even this I would like to alter the PDF file properties to add an author or date. I can open the window but I don't seem to be allowed to enter this information- the edit boxes are disabled.

Question- how does everyone sort their pdf files? I can see in a year or so I'll have upwards of 50 and it will take a long time to find the one I need, given my current convention is to just call the file "[author][year].pdf", especially as some authors publish more than one article a year.

Regards,

Mike

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2009 #2

DavidSnider

Gold Member

Is the file read-only? This often happens if you copy them off a CD-R or something similar.

You are on the right track about storing the information in the metadata. That is the best way.

4. Oct 28, 2009 #3
    I don't think it is... although it's a PDF so I'd not expect to alter it, I don't know where to find its protection. I can't see this mentioned in any of the usual places (file properties, security, etc.)

Ultimately I'd like to edit the meta-data (that's the word I was looking for!) as windows sees it, like I know you can for audio files. I just can't see the options for documents. I got them all from the journal websites using my academic login.

5. Oct 28, 2009 #4

DavidSnider

Gold Member

In XP you just right click on the file, go to properties and on the General tab it has a section called "Attributes" and a checkbox that indicates if it is read only.

When it is checked you can not modify the metadata.

6. Oct 28, 2009 #5
    Nope, that is not checked. :(

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook