Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

PC Users What do you use to create FREE PDF files?

1. Aug 21, 2009 #1
    How can I create a PDF file w/out buying anything?

Why does adobe try to swindle you into buying something?

It's cake on my Mac, but on my PC not so much.

So what do you guys use?

Thanks,
    Casey

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 21, 2009 #2

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You can use LaTeX typesetting programs to creat PDF's. They're free.

4. Aug 21, 2009 #3

ranger

Gold Member

I use PrimoPDF.

5. Aug 21, 2009 #4
    Er... I think that would be a little cumbersome. Let's say I wanted to make a PDF of this screen right now. How would I do that?

Downloading Now. I'll give this a whirl. Thanks :smile:

6. Aug 21, 2009 #5

Evo

Staff: Mentor

The company that invents software certainly has the right to sell that software.

Anyone that attempts to post links to cracked or even remotely illegal software will be banned.

7. Aug 21, 2009 #6
    LaTeX and OpenOffice will make PDFs, both being free.

8. Aug 21, 2009 #7

Not anymore :grumpy: Just read this:

Nothing is ever free is it.

9. Aug 21, 2009 #8
    Settle down now. Nobody said they didn't have the right. Just think its a little silly when there is plenty of open source stuff out there.

Hmmm. I will have to look into the OpenOffice thing.

10. Aug 21, 2009 #9

berkeman

Weird. That was in the install from the download at the PrimoPDF website? I hadn't seen that before. I've been happy with PrimoPDF, but it sounds like I will have to look into that...

11. Aug 21, 2009 #10
    A PDF document is meant to be a digital version of a printed static page; to create a PDF of this screen, you would have to specify a dpi/ppi so that a physical size could be calculated. The PDF is ideally meant to be identically printed on every machine, irrespective of fonts available, etc. Modern PDFs have added multimedia content and embedded notes.
    As such, what you want to do is install a virtual printer whose output is a PDF file. Bullzip offers freeware for this purpose.

12. Aug 21, 2009 #11

Evo

PrimoPDF advertises itself as a PDF convertor which installs itself as a printer. "PrimoPDF does produce larger files than the original software, this program really just covers the basics of PDF publishing. If you want PDF encryption, linearization, or editing capabilities, you'll still have to shell out some dough".

It's not really a PDF file, it just imitates it, but probably that's all you want.

13. Aug 21, 2009 #12
    Since last summer, PDF has been an open standard, which anyone is free to implement.

(before that time they could still implement it, there just wasn't a standard to work from)

14. Aug 21, 2009 #13
    If you wanted to print this page to a pdf file you could, for instance, install the PDFcreator driver. The print menu from all of your Windows apps will then give you the option to print to a pdf file in addition to printing to hard copy.

15. Aug 21, 2009 #14
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2009
  16. Aug 21, 2009 #15
  17. Aug 21, 2009 #16
    Yes I missed that. I also missed Evo saying not to put links here. Not knowing anything about the legality of PDF creator I decided to remove the link :blushing:

18. Aug 21, 2009 #17
    Yeah. I started to run the executable and for some reason, for once, actually read the EULA.

19. Aug 22, 2009 #18

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have used http://www.pdf995.com/" [Broken], it seems to work pretty well.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  20. Sep 5, 2009 #19

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Adobe gave up the right to the PDF format a while ago, it was the only way to get the format accepted as an ISO standard; and even before that they allowed some other companies to implement the format.
    They obviously retain copyright for the software they sell (Acrobat etc) but the point is that there is plenty of free (or semi-free) software out there that allow you to create PDF documents, and none of it violates any copyrights.

21. Sep 7, 2009 #20

harborsparrow

Gold Member

Well, it's not free, but lots of us have Word 2007 anyway. It has an add-on for saving files as .pdf that works well. Word 2007 will cost about $100 (academic) I think.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook