1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Orthogonal Basis and Inner Products

1. Mar 3, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Skjermbilde_2012_03_03_kl_11_28_16_AM.png

3. The attempt at a solutionSince A is a vector in V and since the [itex]A_i[/itex] form a basis, we can write A as a linear combination of the [itex]A_i[/itex]. We write [itex]A = x_1 A_1 + ... + x_n A_n[/itex]. Thus, we have,

[itex]<x_1 A_1 + ... + x_n A_n,A_i> = 0 = x_1 <A_1,A_i> + ... + x_n <A_n,A_i>[/itex]. Because two orthogonal vectors, when multiplied via inner product together give the zero vector, we simplify,

[itex]0 = x_i <A_i,A_i>[/itex]. Because we have presumed that the [itex]A_i ≠ 0[/itex], we cannot have [itex]<A_i,A_i> = 0[/itex], so we must have that the [itex]x_i = 0[/itex]. So we have [itex]<A,A_i> = <x_1 A_1 + ... + x_n A_n,A_i> = 0 = x_1 <A_1,A_i> + ... + x_n <A_n,A_i> = x_i <A_i,A_i> = 0 <A_i,A_i> = <0,A_i> = 0. Which shows that A = 0.

I don't know if I've done this correctly. I feel like it's not entirely convincing towards the end. Advice?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 3, 2012 #2

Deveno

Science Advisor

you're fine up to here.

at this point, stop thinking about the "inner products", and start thinking about which linear combination of the Ai, A has to be.

4. Mar 3, 2012 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You can say more than that- since you are told that the basis is "orthonormal", you know that [itex]<A_i, A_i>= 1[/itex]

Once you have [itex]x_i= 0[/itex] for all x, you have immediately that [itex]A= 0A_1+ 0A_2+ ...= 0[/itex]

5. Mar 3, 2012 #4
    Okay. That makes sense. Thank you both.

This problem is related to the idea of the inner product. I don't think I need any help on the first parts, but I'd like to talk about the third part of the problem.

Skjermbilde_2012_03_03_kl_1_15_53_PM.png

So, finding the length of a given vector given this inner product:
    [itex]<(x,y),(x,y)> = 5x^2 + y^2[/itex].

Taking the length, we have

[itex]|(x,y)| = \sqrt{5x^2 + y^2}[/itex], which we define as equaling 1. Squaring both sides we find,

[itex]5x^2 + y^2 = 1[/itex]. I think this is the equation of the circle, but I'm not sure. If it is, then my picture has y-intercepts at 1,-1 and x-intercepts at .5,-.5.

Is this correct?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook