Solving a Diff. Eq. with Orthogonal Vectors

In summary, the conversation discusses working on a differential equation and setting aside the ##x^2## terms by setting them equal to zero. This is possible because each order of exponent can be treated like an orthogonal vector in function space. This approach is analogous to the example of two vectors being equal to zero, where their corresponding components must also be equal. The conversation concludes with a clarification on how different powers of x can be considered as orthogonal vectors and how this applies to proving the equality of two polynomials.
kq6up
I am working on a diff eq. that the prof. did as an example in class.

##y^{\prime\prime}-3y^{\prime}+2y=x^2+x+3##

after subbing in I get:

##2a_2-6a_2x-3a_1+2a_2x^2+2a_1x+2a_o=x^2+x+3##

She set aside the ##x^2## terms and set them equal to zero like such:

##2a_2x^2-x^2=0##

I imagine this ok because each order of exponent can be treated like a orthogonal vector in function space? That is why it is ok to pull these out of the original equation? If I had two vectors that I say have to be equal to zero (these for example):

##\mathbf{A}+\mathbf{B}=0##, so ##a_x\hat{x}+a_y\hat{y}+b_x\hat{x}+b_y\hat{y}=0 ## can be simplified to ##a_x=-b_x## and ##a_y=-b_y##.

Are these two examples analogous? If so, I am satisfied that it works. (not saying it doesn't -- I just want to understand things on a deep level).

Thanks,
Chris

Physics news on Phys.org
kq6up said:

after subbing in I get:

##2a_2x^2-x^2=0##

I imagine this ok because each order of exponent can be treated like a orthogonal vector in function space? That is why it is ok to pull these out of the original equation? If I had two vectors that I say have to be equal to zero (these for example):

##\mathbf{A}+\mathbf{B}=0##, so ##a_x\hat{x}+a_y\hat{y}+b_x\hat{x}+b_y\hat{y}=0 ## can be simplified to ##a_x=-b_x## and ##a_y=-b_y##.

Are these two examples analogous? If so, I am satisfied that it works. (not saying it doesn't -- I just want to understand things on a deep level).

Thanks,
Chris

You have the right idea. If two polynomials are equal, their corresponding coefficients must be equal, and that is what you are using. You can prove that using derivatives. For example, suppose$$
Ax^2+Bx+C = ax^2+bx+c$$Putting ##x=0## tells you ##C=c##. Now take the derivative:$$
2Ax +B = 2ax + b$$Put ##x=0## in that giving ##B=b##. Differentiate again and you will see ##A=a##. This argument works for higher degress; you just keep differentiating.

Likes kq6up
Thanks, now it is even more clear to me. That makes perfect sense.

Chris

kq6up said:

after subbing in I get:

Subbing in what for what and where? :confused:

kq6up said:

##2a_2x^2-x^2=0##

Thanks,
Chris

It is right, the different powers of x can be considered as orthogonal vectors. Two polynomials are identical if the coefficients of all powers of x are the same in both. ehild

Likes kq6up
Thanks,
Chris

Related to Solving a Diff. Eq. with Orthogonal Vectors

What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates a function to its derivatives. It is used to model and study various natural phenomena and physical systems.

What are orthogonal vectors?

Orthogonal vectors are vectors that are perpendicular to each other, meaning they form a 90 degree angle. In other words, their dot product is equal to 0.

Why is it useful to solve a differential equation with orthogonal vectors?

Solving a differential equation with orthogonal vectors can simplify the solution process and provide a more intuitive understanding of the problem. This is because orthogonal vectors are independent of each other and can be easily manipulated mathematically.

How can one determine if a set of vectors is orthogonal?

To determine if a set of vectors is orthogonal, you can calculate their dot product. If the dot product is equal to 0, then the vectors are orthogonal.

What are some applications of solving a differential equation with orthogonal vectors?

Solving a differential equation with orthogonal vectors has applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It can be used to model and study processes such as heat transfer, fluid dynamics, and population growth.