1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Orthogonal projectors (minimization and variational problem)

1. Sep 10, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    S1 is in subspace of C^n. P unique orthogonal projector P : C^n -> S1, and x is in range of C^n. Show that the

minimization problem: y in range of S1 so that:
    2norm(x-y) = min 2norm(x-z)
    where z in range of S1

and

variational problem: y in range of S1 so that:
    (x-y)*z = 0 (* is the hermitian so this is an inner product)
    for each z in range of S1

have the same unique solution y = Px

2. Relevant equations
    P^2-P = 0
    Range(P) = S1 ?

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have no idea what's going on here. I am using Numerical Linear Algebra by Trefethen and Bau but there's nothing about minimization or variational problems in the book =/ any hint to get me started would be much appreciated.

For the variational problem this might be one way but it doesn't show that it's unique and I'm not even sure it's correct:
    (x-y)*z = 0
    Set y = Px and multiply by P
    (Px-P^2x)*z = 0
    but P^2 = P so (Px-P^2x) = 0 and therefore LHS = RHS

Clueless on the first one.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think the fact you might be missing is that x-Px is orthogonal to any element y of S1. So (x-Px)*y=0 for all y in S1. That's what it means to be an ORTHOGONAL projector. For the first part, write norm(x-z)=norm((x-Px)+(Px-z)). Can you see the Pythagorean theorem in there?

4. Sep 10, 2009 #3
    Wow, I didn't know maths could be fun :P thanks a lot.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook