Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Orthogonality condition for Airy functions

1. Jun 24, 2014 #1
    Hi, all. I'll be brief. Can Airy functions [those who solve the differential equation y''-xy=0] be considered orthogonal over some interval? If so, what is their orthogonality condition? Given that the Airy functions have a representation in terms of Bessel functions, I would be inclined to think that the answer is yes; however, is there a compact form for their orthogonality condition? I've looked everywhere without success. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 25, 2014 #2

pasmith

Homework Helper

I think you want to look at [tex]
    y'' = \lambda x y,[/tex] whose solutions are Airy functions of [itex]r = \lambda^{1/3}x[/itex], and the eigenfunctions will be orthogonal with respect to [tex]
    \int_a^b x y_1(x) y_2(x)\,dx.
    [/tex] where [itex]\lambda^{1/3}a[/itex] and [itex]\lambda^{1/3}b[/itex] should be zeroes of Airy functions or their derivatives. Unhelpfully [itex]x = 0[/itex] is not a such a zero.

4. Jun 26, 2014 #3
    Thanks a lot. I'll look it up. I'm working in the problem of a particle trapped in quantum well with infinite walls at x=0 and x=H>0 within which we have gravity, i.e., V = mgy, but I need the orthogonality relation of the wavefunction for a further calculation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook