Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Orthogonality of Hermite functions

1. Nov 12, 2014 #1
    Hi, friends! I want to show that Hermite functions, defined by ##\varphi_n(x)=(-1)^n e^{x^2/2}\frac{d^n e^{-x^2}}{dx^n}##, ##n\in\mathbb{N}## are an orthogonal system, i.e. that, for any ##m\ne n##,

##\int_{-\infty}^\infty e^{x^2} \frac{d^m e^{-x^2}}{dx^m} \frac{d^n e^{-x^2}}{dx^n}=0 ##​

I have tried by integrating by parts, but I am landing nowhere...
    Thank you so much for any help!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2014 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Did you try induction?

4. Nov 12, 2014 #3

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can use the generating function and reduce the whole integral to a doable one.

5. Nov 12, 2014 #4

pasmith

Homework Helper

I note that [tex]\int_{-\infty}^\infty \phi_n(x)\phi_m(x)\,dx = \int_{-\infty}^\infty e^{-x^2}H_n(x)H_m(x)\,dx = 2\sqrt{\pi}n!\delta_{nm}.[/tex] The second equality can be established by applying Sturm-Liouville theory to the Hermite equation [tex]H_n'' - 2xH_n' = -2nH_n.[/tex]

6. Nov 13, 2014 #5
    Thank you all so much!!!
    @dextercioby and pasmith: Regrettably, I do not know anything of Sturm-Liouville theory or generating functions...
    @mfb: I am not sure how we could use induction with ##m## and ##n##... I think that integration by parts is the key, but I am not able to manipulate the integral to get the desired result...

7. Nov 13, 2014 #6

ShayanJ

Gold Member

The best way is the one suggested by pasmith because you won't do any integration.
    So I suggest you read Sturm-Liouville theory chapter of Mathematical methods for physicists by Arfken.

8. Nov 13, 2014 #7

pasmith

Homework Helper

Or, since [itex]\phi_n = e^{-\frac12x^2}H_n[/itex], substitution yields [tex]
    \phi_n'' + (1 - x^2)\phi_n = -2n\phi_n.[/tex] Multiplying by [itex]\phi_m[/itex] and integrating over the real line gives [tex]
    \int_{-\infty}^\infty \phi_n''\phi_m + (1 - x^2)\phi_n\phi_m\,dx = -2n\int_{-\infty}^\infty \phi_n \phi_m\,dx.
    [/tex] Integrating the first term on the left by parts twice yields [tex]
    \int_{-\infty}^\infty \phi_n \phi_m'' + (1 - x^2)\phi_n\phi_m\,dx = -2n\int_{-\infty}^\infty \phi_n \phi_m\,dx
    [/tex] and since [itex]\phi_m'' + (1-x^2)\phi_m = -2m\phi_m[/itex] we have [tex]
    -2m \int_{-\infty}^\infty \phi_n \phi_m\,dx = -2n\int_{-\infty}^\infty \phi_n \phi_m\,dx[/tex] or
    [tex]2(n - m)\int_{-\infty}^\infty \phi_n \phi_m\,dx = 0.[/tex]

9. Nov 13, 2014 #8

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

It was a guess, as those things easily transform to n+-1 or m+-1 and so on via partial integration. We have much nicer solutions here now.

10. Nov 13, 2014 #9
    I thank you all very much!!!!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook