1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Oscillating Mass between Two Springs

1. Feb 5, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A block on a frictionless table is connected to two springs having spring constants k1 and k2. Show that the block's oscillation frequency is given by f = (f12 + f22).5 where f1 and f2 are the frequencies at which it would oscillate if attached to spring 1 or spring 2 alone.

2. Relevant equations

f = 1/T
    T = 2pi(m/k).5

3. The attempt at a solution

I have substituted the period into the frequency and I am stuck. It looks like they found f1 and f2 alone and put them into the Pythagorean theorem, but I do not know how to relate them.
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2010 #2
    I do not see any relation to Pythagorean theorem. Notice that if you were to latch two springs onto a mass, you could model the same motion with one spring with a constant equal to the sum of the two springs. Knowing this, calculate the frequency of all three configurations(spring 1, spring 2, and spring 1 & 2 combined). Next, substitute your answer for spring 1 and spring 2 into that equation and see if you get the same answer you derived for spring 1 & 2 combined.
  4. Feb 5, 2010 #3
    When I find the frequencies of the springs, I do not understand how to relate them.
  5. Feb 5, 2010 #4
    I told you how.

Calculate frequency 1 with k = k1, frequency 2 with k = k2, and f with k = k1 + k2.

[tex]f_1 = \frac{1}{2\pi} \sqrt{\frac{k_1}{m}}[/tex]
    [tex]f_2 = \frac{1}{2\pi} \sqrt{\frac{k_2}{m}}[/tex]
    [tex]f = \frac{1}{2\pi} \sqrt{\frac{k_1 + k_2}{m}}[/tex] because [tex]k = k_1 + k_2[/tex] and nothing else changes.

Next, plug [tex]f_1[/tex] and [tex]f_2[/tex] into [tex]f=\sqrt{f_1^2+f_2^2}[/tex] to see if you get the same expression as above for [tex]f[/tex].
    (you do)
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2010
  6. Feb 5, 2010 #5
    Oh, I was going a different route using a different equation making it more complicated. Thank you for your help.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook