1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Frequency of an oscillating mass with springs in series

1. Aug 27, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A block on a frictionless table is connected as shown in the figure to two springs having spring constants k1 and k2.

Find an expression for the block's oscillation frequency f in terms of the frequencies f1 and f2 at which it would oscillate if attached to spring 1 or spring 2 alone.
    Give your answer in terms of f1 and f2.

2. Relevant equations

f=(1/2pi)*sqrt(k/m)

3. The attempt at a solution

If the object was attached to spring 1 alone, the frequecy would be:

f1=(1/2pi)*sqrt(k1/m)

If the object was attached to spring 2 alone, the frequecy would be:

f2=(1/2pi)*sqrt(k2/m)

Since the two springs are in a serie, the constant k of the system of spring is :

1/k1+1/k2=1/k which means k=k1k2/k1+k2

Then the frequecy of the system of springs should be f=(1/2pi)*sqrt(k1k2/m(k1+k2))

This is where I get stuck, I don't know how to express f in terms of f1 and f2.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      5.7 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 27, 2011 #2

PeterO

Homework Helper

Perhaps you need to use proportion to get rid of a lot of the clutter.

f1=(1/2pi)*sqrt(k1/m) = (1/2pi)*sqrt(1/m)*sqrt(k1) = A*k1
    f2=(1/2pi)*sqrt(k2/m) = (1/2pi)*sqrt(1/m)*sqrt(k2) = A*k2

I replaced all those constant/equal bits with the symbol A. The was no significance in me choosing A, I could have used any letter/symbol - except the ones already used as that would be confusing [so m is out of the question]

When you do a similar thing to the combined spring situation you may find something.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook