Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Oscillation in Charged Particles

1. Jan 5, 2009 #1
    What causes EM radiation?? the answer is in the oscillation of charged particles, but why or how does that produce electromagnetic radiation? How does the fluctuations in the electromagnetic fields cause release of virtual phtotns, or does it, and other EM radiation??
    please help me through conceptual logic as I am very confused..

Once those base questions are answered, can some1 please tell me how the virtual photon itself works and why it is only a sunstaiable magnitude for a limited time. in essence, why is it "virtual" or what causes it to be..
    Also, if possble, may have the definition to a virtual particle because to me it seems very... umm "scalar", with no particle sense of a pin-point orentation.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 5, 2009 #2

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You have not even done high school.

Why not just pick up a textbook in introductory electromagnetism? Stop asking so many questions and follow our advise instead.

i) learn math, start with calculus and linear algebra
    ii) learn basic physics, start with Newtonian and Analytical Mechanics and electromagnetism

Then you can start doing "real" stuff, otherwise it is just waste of time for us trying for us to explain to you. Each answer you have got so far have raised 3 new for you - questions that what a student of physics ALREADY should have known. So you are doing things in wrong order, it is not efficient.

A particle is virtual if it is off mass shell, i.e. it does not fulfill: [tex] E^2 = (pc)^2 + (mc^2)^2 [/tex]
    E is energy, p is momentum, c is speed of light, m is its mass. So, that is the answer, nothing less nothing more.

4. Jan 5, 2009 #3
    sudhirking,

One way for you to pick up some basic learning is by reading relevant Wikipedia articles. Some of them are easier to understand than others.

Try the articles on "Virtual Particles", "photon", and "electromagnetic radiation". These will give you links to other related subjects as well.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?