1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Archived Oscillation with Green's Function

1. Mar 26, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A force Fext(t) = F0[ 1−e(−αt) ] acts, for time t > 0, on an oscillator which is at rest at x=0 at time 0.
    The mass is m; the spring constant is k; and the damping force is −b x′. The parameters satisfy these relations:
    b = m q , k = 4 m q2 where q is a constant with units of inverse time.
    Find the motion. Determine x(t); and hand in a qualitatively correct graph of x(t).
    (B) Determine the final position.

2. Relevant equations
    Green's Function:
    x(t) = ∫-∞tF(t')G(t,t')dt'
    where:
    G(t,t') = (1/(m*ω1))*e-β(t-t')*sinω1(t-t') for t≥t'
    = 0 for t<t'

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have solved using green's function to obtain this mess:
    (F0/m)*(e-βt/(β212))*((β/ω1)*sinω1t - cosω1t) - (F0/m)/((α-β)212)*[e-αt-e-βt*(cosω1t-((α-β)/ω1)sinω1t)]

From here, however, I am unsure of how to find the final position without the final time.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2016 #2
    The final position can be found by balancing the limiting force with Hook's law.

4. Oct 26, 2016 #3

Charles Link

Homework Helper

I would suggest you work the problem with a simple differential equation. The Green function approach for this one is rather difficult. If your instructor specified he requires a Green's function type solution, then it is the route you need to go, but for this one, the Green's function looks like a difficult approach. editing... I'm looking at the date on the OP. This one appears to be a couple of years old.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted