What Is the Final Velocity of a Particle Under a Time-Dependent Force?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 2K views
Alex Wik
Messages
2
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A particle with the mass m moves in one dimension. It is in rest when t=0 and affects later after a by The time dependent force. F(t) =F0*e^(-at) where F0 and a is constants. When The time is really big The particels velocity get close to a spesific value. What is it?

Homework Equations


F(t) =F0*e^(-at)
I= delta(p)

The Attempt at a Solution


[/B]
I have tried to take The intergrals of both sides. F(t) =F0*e^(-at)--> I (impulse) = integrals from 0 to infinite( F0*e^(-at) /-at) But later on I can not seem to be a solve this general intergrals. And then i need to solve The velocity from the impulse.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, I posted a wrong answer just a moment ago...

Do you know what is the integral of ∫ e^x dx ?
 
Phylosopher said:
Sorry, I posted a wrong answer just a moment ago...

Do you know what is the integral of ∫ e^x dx ?
Yes. It is e^x+C
 
Alex Wik said:
Yes. It is e^x+C

Very good. Now, what can you do for e^-at so that it looks more like e^x ?
 
Please do not post in boldface type.

Alex Wik said:

Homework Statement


A particle with the mass m moves in one dimension. It is in rest when t=0 and affects later after a by The time dependent force. F(t) =F0*e^(-at) where F0 and a is constants. When The time is really big The particels velocity get close to a spesific value. What is it? [/B]

Do you mean for both the ##a## values I put in red to be the same?

Homework Equations


F(t) =F0*e^(-at)
I= delta(p)
[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution


What is ##p##? What impulse?

I have tried to take The intergrals of both sides. F(t) =F0*e^(-at)--> I (impulse) = integrals from 0 to infinite( F0*e^(-at) /-at) But later on I can not seem to be a solve this general intergrals. And then i need to solve The velocity from the impulse.
 
LCKurtz said:
Please do not post in boldface type.
Now fixed in the OP.

Alex Wik said:
have tried to take The intergrals of both sides. F(t) =F0*e^(-at)--> I (impulse) = integrals from 0 to infinite( F0*e^(-at) /-at) But later on I can not seem to be a solve this general intergrals.
"Intergrals" is not a word -- the correct spelling is integrals.
 
Alex Wik said:
I have tried to take The intergrals of both sides. F(t) =F0*e^(-at)--> I (impulse) = integrals from 0 to infinite( F0*e^(-at) /-at) But later on I can not seem to be a solve this general intergrals. And then i need to solve The velocity from the impulse.
If I understand what you wrote, you said
$$\text{Impulse} = \int_0^\infty F(t)\,dt = \int_0^{\infty} \frac{F_0 e^{-at}}{-at}\,dt.$$ Is that what you meant?
 
Alex Wik said:
particle with the mass m moves in one dimension. It is in rest when t=0 and affects later after a by The time dependent force. F(t) =F0*e^(-at) where F0 and a is constants. When The time is really big The particels velocity get close to a spesific value. What is it?
v(t)=-F0/(ma)exp(-at)+c
for large t clearly v=c.
c can be determined from the boundary condition at t=0 which is F0/ma