1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Oscillations in an electric field

1. Jul 15, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two positive point charges Q are held fixed on the x-axis at x=a and x=-a. A third positive point charge q, with mass m is them placed on the the x-axis away from the origin at a coordinate x such that lxl<<a. The charge q, which is free to move along the x-axis, is then released. Find the frequency of oscillation of the charge q.

2. Relevant equations
    So I started with the force equation for charges where FE=1/(4∏ε0)*qqq2/r2
    I figured I need to get it into a form of Hooke's law where F=-kx. So I could then use the equation f=1/(2∏)*[itex]\sqrt{k/m}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    So I wrote the force equations which each of the fixed charges would exert on the point charge and added them together resulting in F=Q*q/4∏ε0*-4ax/(a2-x2)2. From here I did not see how I could get it into a form of Hooke's law. At this point I am at a loss of what path to take. Help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 15, 2012 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Since |x| << a, approximate the denominator.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook