Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Out of the Loop (no pun intended)

1. Feb 9, 2008 #1
    Hey, its been over 6 years since i studied physics seriously, was letting my mind wonder today when i hit upon an idea unfortunately i cant remember the exact physics involved.

Basically i remember something about being able to create an eletrical current using magnetic fields and ferous metals moving within this field, cant remember the exact requirements or calculations though, could someone please help me?

Thanks one and all,

*edited some typos >.<*
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2008 #2
    Just point out, no longer in education, sorry if this would be classed as the homework section though :S
  4. Feb 9, 2008 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Welcome to PF Devious,

What you describe is an electric generator. This site has a video demonstration as well as some elementary theory regarding [AC] generators.
    Nope, it isn't classed as homework and you've posted it in the right place :approve:
  5. Feb 9, 2008 #4
  6. Feb 9, 2008 #5
    thanks, and now for my idea (its a gradeous one so feel free to laugh and the impossiblity of it) basically, the magnetic field is earths, the rotation circuit is a massive ring in orbit of the world, thirdly several of the "space elveators" that NASA are on about these days act as power cables to the surface of the planet, result, massive "free" energy source.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?