1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Outer Content ( Lebesgue Measure )

1. Sep 4, 2013 #1

Zondrina

Homework Helper

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Two parts to this question.

a) Suppose ##S## is a bounded set and has an interior point ##Q##, prove that ##C(S) > 0##. ( Hint : Inside any neighbourhood of ##Q##, you can place a square ).

b) For each integer ##n>0##, let ##L_n## be the line segment ##\{ (\frac{1}{n}, y) : 0 ≤ y ≤ \frac{1}{n} ) \}##.

Also, let ##S = \bigcup_{n=1}^{∞} L_n##, prove that ##C(S) = 0##.

2. Relevant equations

##C(S)## = Outer content = ##inf \{ \sum A_i \} = inf \{ Area(P) \}##.

Where ##A_i## is the area of the sub-rectangle ##R_i##, which comes from a larger rectangle ##R## that encloses ##S## and has been partitioned by ##P##.

3. The attempt at a solution

a) This part is not too bad I think.

Since ##Q## is an interior point of ##S##, ##\exists \delta > 0 \space | \space N_{\delta}(Q) \subseteq S##.

Now, place a square, with center ##Q##, inside of ##N_{\delta}(Q)## and let ##A_{S_Q} = Area(Square_Q)##.

Suppose that we now enclose ##S## in a rectangle ##R##. For any partition ##P## of ##R##, we can attain another partition ##P'## from the square, which yields the following relationship :

##inf \{ \sum A_i \} ≥ inf \{ \sum A_{i}^{'} \} ≥ A_{S_Q} > 0##.

Hence the result is shown, ##C(S) ≥ A_{S_Q} > 0##.

b) This part is a bit more difficult. I was thinking to take a square with area ##δ^2## that will contain all the line segments ##L_n## except a finite amount of them.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 4, 2013 #2

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Sorry for the double, but I think I got this now.

Take a square ##S_1## with area ##δ^2## and vertices at ##(0,0), (δ,0), (0,δ), (δ,δ)## which will contain all except a finite amount of the ##L_n##. So ##\forall ε > 0, \exists δ > 0 \space | \space δ^2 < \frac{ε}{2}##.

Let ##L_{nO} > 0## denote the number of line segments outside of this square.

Enclose each of these line segments in a rectangle ##R_i## such that the area of each rectangle ##A_i## is ##\frac{ε}{2 L_{nO}}## and extend out the sides of each rectangle to get a larger rectangle as well as a partition ##P## of that rectangle, which will contain all the lines. Then ##Area(P)## is defined as :

##Area(S_1) + \sum A_i = δ^2 + \sum A_i##

Now there are ##L_{nO}## line segments, so there must be ##L_{nO}## rectangles we used, therefore :

##δ^2 + \sum A_i = δ^2 + L_{nO} \frac{ε}{2 L_{nO}} < \frac{ε}{2} + \frac{ε}{2} = ε##

Hence ##C(S) = inf \{Area(P)\} < ε, \forall ε > 0##

Therefore ##C(S) = 0##

I think this is the idea. If someone could tell me if Ive gone wrong at all it would be great.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted