Outer Content ( Lebesgue Measure )

• Thread starter STEMucator
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Measure
In summary, the conversation discusses a two-part question regarding bounded sets and their interior points. In part a, it is proved that if a bounded set has an interior point, then its outer content is greater than 0 by placing a square inside a neighborhood of the point. In part b, it is proved that the outer content of a set consisting of an infinite union of line segments is equal to 0 by enclosing the line segments in a square and using a partition to show that the area of the square is less than any given ε. The conversation also includes relevant equations and the attempt at a solution for each part of the question.
STEMucator
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

Two parts to this question.

a) Suppose ##S## is a bounded set and has an interior point ##Q##, prove that ##C(S) > 0##. ( Hint : Inside any neighbourhood of ##Q##, you can place a square ).

b) For each integer ##n>0##, let ##L_n## be the line segment ##\{ (\frac{1}{n}, y) : 0 ≤ y ≤ \frac{1}{n} ) \}##.

Also, let ##S = \bigcup_{n=1}^{∞} L_n##, prove that ##C(S) = 0##.

Homework Equations

##C(S)## = Outer content = ##inf \{ \sum A_i \} = inf \{ Area(P) \}##.

Where ##A_i## is the area of the sub-rectangle ##R_i##, which comes from a larger rectangle ##R## that encloses ##S## and has been partitioned by ##P##.

The Attempt at a Solution

a) This part is not too bad I think.

Since ##Q## is an interior point of ##S##, ##\exists \delta > 0 \space | \space N_{\delta}(Q) \subseteq S##.

Now, place a square, with center ##Q##, inside of ##N_{\delta}(Q)## and let ##A_{S_Q} = Area(Square_Q)##.

Suppose that we now enclose ##S## in a rectangle ##R##. For any partition ##P## of ##R##, we can attain another partition ##P'## from the square, which yields the following relationship :

##inf \{ \sum A_i \} ≥ inf \{ \sum A_{i}^{'} \} ≥ A_{S_Q} > 0##.

Hence the result is shown, ##C(S) ≥ A_{S_Q} > 0##.

b) This part is a bit more difficult. I was thinking to take a square with area ##δ^2## that will contain all the line segments ##L_n## except a finite amount of them.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry for the double, but I think I got this now.

Take a square ##S_1## with area ##δ^2## and vertices at ##(0,0), (δ,0), (0,δ), (δ,δ)## which will contain all except a finite amount of the ##L_n##. So ##\forall ε > 0, \exists δ > 0 \space | \space δ^2 < \frac{ε}{2}##.

Let ##L_{nO} > 0## denote the number of line segments outside of this square.

Enclose each of these line segments in a rectangle ##R_i## such that the area of each rectangle ##A_i## is ##\frac{ε}{2 L_{nO}}## and extend out the sides of each rectangle to get a larger rectangle as well as a partition ##P## of that rectangle, which will contain all the lines. Then ##Area(P)## is defined as :

##Area(S_1) + \sum A_i = δ^2 + \sum A_i##

Now there are ##L_{nO}## line segments, so there must be ##L_{nO}## rectangles we used, therefore :

##δ^2 + \sum A_i = δ^2 + L_{nO} \frac{ε}{2 L_{nO}} < \frac{ε}{2} + \frac{ε}{2} = ε##

Hence ##C(S) = inf \{Area(P)\} < ε, \forall ε > 0##

Therefore ##C(S) = 0##

I think this is the idea. If someone could tell me if I've gone wrong at all it would be great.

Last edited:

1. What is Outer Content (Lebesgue Measure)?

Outer Content, also known as Lebesgue Measure, is a mathematical concept used to measure the size or extent of a set in n-dimensional space. It is a generalization of the one-dimensional notion of length and is commonly used in the fields of analysis and measure theory.

2. How is Outer Content (Lebesgue Measure) defined?

The Outer Content of a set A in n-dimensional space is defined as the infimum of the sum of the n-dimensional volumes of a countable collection of n-dimensional intervals that cover A. In simpler terms, it is the smallest possible measure of a set that contains A.

3. What is the significance of Outer Content (Lebesgue Measure)?

Outer Content is a fundamental concept in measure theory and is used to define important mathematical concepts such as Lebesgue measure and Lebesgue integration. It is also a useful tool in studying the properties of sets and functions in n-dimensional space.

4. How is Outer Content (Lebesgue Measure) different from other measures?

Unlike other measures, such as the Jordan measure, Outer Content is a more general concept that can be applied to a wider range of sets. It is also more flexible and allows for the measurement of sets that are not necessarily bounded or have irregular shapes.

5. Can Outer Content (Lebesgue Measure) be extended to higher dimensions?

Yes, Outer Content can be extended to measure sets in higher dimensions such as 4-dimensional space, 5-dimensional space, and so on. This is known as the Lebesgue measure, which is a generalization of Outer Content to n-dimensional space.