1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove if S and T are sets with outer content zero, SUT has outer content zero.

1. Nov 9, 2012 #1

Zondrina

Homework Helper

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Suppose that S and T are sets with outer content 0, prove that SUT also has outer content zero.

2. Relevant equations

C(S) denotes the outer content.

C(S) = C(T) = 0

Also : [itex]C(S) = inf \left\{{ \sum_{k=0}^{n} A_k}\right\}[/itex] where Ak is the area of one of the sub-rectangles Rk.

3. The attempt at a solution

So we want to show that C(SUT) = 0 using the fact C(S) = C(T) = 0. I'm not really sure where to start this one though. First time I've seen anything like it and a quick search yielded no results about outer content at all.

I do have one theorem though. If S is a curve of finite length L, then C(S) = 0. I also figured ( not positive about this ) that C(∅) = 0.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2012 #2
    Attached

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      12.3 KB
      Views:
  4. Nov 9, 2012 #3

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Hmm I sort of see what you're saying. I'm confused as to why you took your sums and unions up to ∞ rather than to n and then later argued as n → ∞, C(S) or C(T) → 0. So given any positive ε :

We take a set of rectangles R'k such that [itex]T \subseteq \bigcup_{k=1}^{n} R_{k}^{'}[/itex] and if I sum all the rectangles up to n, it will be smaller than (1/2)ε.

We take another set of rectangles R''k such that [itex]S \subseteq \bigcup_{k=1}^{n} R_{k}^{''}[/itex] and if we sum all these rectangles up to n it will also be smaller than (1/2)ε.

So hopefully I'm not mistaken here, but you asked me to consider the union of all the rectangles together.

So we take a set of rectangles Rk such that [itex]S \cup T \subseteq \bigcup_{k=1}^{n} {R_{k}^{'}} \cup {R_{k}^{''}}[/itex] and if we sum all these rectangles, it will be less than (1/2)ε + (1/2)ε = ε.

5. Nov 9, 2012 #4
    Yes this what i ment.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook