Outlook of Nuclear Engineering in the U.S.A.?

• Thread starter D4V1D
  • Start date
What can I expect for job availibility with a Bachelor's Degree in Nuclear Engineering in the U.S.A.? Any regions of the country I can expect to most likely work in?
Also, is it possible for me to work towards a Master's Degree in a Physics field after getting a Bachelor's in Nuclear Engineering?

I am a junior in high school, and I'm currently interested in studying Engineering and/or Physics in college, but I'm leaning more towards Nuclear Engineering currently. I do understand though, that a nuclear power plant hasn't been built in the U.S.A. in a long time (though there are more jobs for nuclear engineers than that, I understand that it should indicate how much interest the country has in using nuclear power). I have read that interest in nuclear power is expected to pick up sometime soon in the U.S.A. However, I am not sure if this is reliable or not, and if it is, if the idea will crash in burn from the public fearing nuclear disaster even more so because of Japan's current issue.
I am just trying to get a clear idea of everything, so I know what to expect if I join the field. Thanks! :D

Answers and Replies

What can I expect for job availibility with a Bachelor's Degree in Nuclear Engineering in the U.S.A.? Any regions of the country I can expect to most likely work in?
Also, is it possible for me to work towards a Master's Degree in a Physics field after getting a Bachelor's in Nuclear Engineering?

I am a junior in high school, and I'm currently interested in studying Engineering and/or Physics in college, but I'm leaning more towards Nuclear Engineering currently. I do understand though, that a nuclear power plant hasn't been built in the U.S.A. in a long time (though there are more jobs for nuclear engineers than that, I understand that it should indicate how much interest the country has in using nuclear power). I have read that interest in nuclear power is expected to pick up sometime soon in the U.S.A. However, I am not sure if this is reliable or not, and if it is, if the idea will crash in burn from the public fearing nuclear disaster even more so because of Japan's current issue.
I am just trying to get a clear idea of everything, so I know what to expect if I join the field. Thanks! :D
Well it's not my field, but I think there's going to be a lot of work with retrofit, because older systems are not just going to be shut down. We need the power. Nuclear power has the potential to be a very green and environmentally sound technology.

The events in Japan, while a very scary, will provide an unprecedented learning opportunity (+motivation) to make them all safe. And if the engineers are allowed to do what they do best, designs you could build a house on will develop.

The future is hard to predict. The people of Japan suffered two nuclear detonations and still they use nuclear power. If nations go backward to fossil fuel the consequences will only lead them back to nuclear.