Outstanding questioner awards?

• Suggestion
  • Thread starter Stephen Tashi
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of having awards and badges to recognize members who ask good questions on Physics Forums. The criteria for a good question is also discussed, such as novelty, elegance, and depth of understanding. It is suggested that advisors could nominate the best questions they have seen and answered. The conversation also touches on the possibility of comparing results from a survey approach with a more functional approach, such as analyzing the length of threads and the number of responses. Examples of good questions, particularly those by a user named icakeov, are provided as reference.
Stephen Tashi
Science Advisor
Would it be useful to have awards and badges that recognize members who ask good questions?

Perhaps we can discuss what makes a question "good".

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes kith and cnh1995
Physics news on Phys.org
Interesting idea!

Perhaps we could nominate the best questions on novelty, elegance and depth of understanding. Advisors could nominate from questions they've seen and answered.

Good questions are important to recognize. I wonder how easy it will be to track over time.

"Computer assist." The bookmark function you have so thoughtfully included. I tend to notice/pay attention to thought provoking questions.

Bystander said:
"Computer assist." The bookmark function you have so thoughtfully included. I tend to notice/pay attention to thought provoking questions.
You should be nominating them to be featured :smile:

Bystander said:
The bookmark function you have so thoughtfully included.
Maybe I'm blind ?... what bookmark function ?

jedishrfu said:
Perhaps we could nominate the best questions on novelty, elegance and depth of understanding. Advisors could nominate from questions they've seen and answered.

and people who actually complete the homework template well are exceptional.

Likes berkeman
Stephen Tashi said:
Would it be useful to have awards and badges that recognize members who ask good questions?
Greg Bernhardt said:
Good questions are important to recognize.
Maybe we could post a few examples here in this thread, to start to get an idea for how often they happen, and what qualities go into a great question to start a thread...

I'm off to search for some examples... :smile:

Likes S.G. Janssens
OCR said:
Maybe I'm blind ?... what bookmark function ?
Gold members and advisors have the function

Greg Bernhardt said:
Gold members and advisors have the function
:check: ... thanks Greg.

Basically I like the idea.

However:
It would be interesting to compare the results from a survey approach like this with a more functional approach such as like who started the longest (most responses) threads. This should be easy for the computer to do.
Or it could be analyzed like baseball stats: best average with a minimum number of posts.
Or maybe likes/thread.

Or maybe this could include questions that are non-starters, that is in posts internal in the thread (pun, sorry).

This would contrast what might be considered functionally the best:
- by number of responses elicited vs.
- a crowd sourced selection based on some set of intellectual criteria.

I think some of the starting questions might lead be not well posed, but to long threads to sort it all out. If it all ends well, this could be a considered a good question.

berkeman said:
Maybe we could post a few examples here in this thread, to start to get an idea for how often they happen, and what qualities go into a great question to start a thread...
I feel that some of icakeov's threads in the biology forum are good examples. While their initial questions help to start productive discussions, what makes them stand out are their thoughtful follow-up questions that show they are thinking deeply about the material and learning from the thread. Here are a few examples:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...e-expressed-in-every-cell-in-organism.889107/
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/how-many-times-does-an-average-protein-fold.886855/
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/do-amino-acids-spontaneously-bond-within-a-cell.893683/

Last edited:
Likes mfb, BillTre, Greg Bernhardt and 1 other person

1. What are "Outstanding questioner awards"?

"Outstanding questioner awards" are awards given to individuals who consistently ask thought-provoking and insightful questions during scientific conferences, seminars, or other events.

2. How are recipients of these awards selected?

The selection process varies, but it typically involves a committee or panel of judges who evaluate the quality and impact of the questions asked by attendees during the event. Some awards may also consider the number of questions asked and the diversity of topics covered.

3. Can anyone be nominated for an "Outstanding questioner award"?

Yes, typically anyone who attends the event and asks questions can be nominated for the award. However, some awards may have specific criteria or restrictions, such as only allowing nominations from certain fields of study or requiring a minimum number of questions asked.

4. What are the benefits of receiving an "Outstanding questioner award"?

Receiving an "Outstanding questioner award" can enhance an individual's reputation as a critical thinker and a valuable contributor to the scientific community. It can also provide networking opportunities and recognition from peers and colleagues.

5. Are there any notable past recipients of these awards?

Yes, many notable scientists and researchers have received "Outstanding questioner awards" for their contributions to the field. Some examples include Nobel Laureates, renowned professors, and influential figures in various scientific disciplines.