Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Suggestion Outstanding questioner awards?

1. Nov 28, 2016 #1

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

Would it be useful to have awards and badges that recognize members who ask good questions?

Perhaps we can discuss what makes a question "good".

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 28, 2016 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Interesting idea!

Perhaps we could nominate the best questions on novelty, elegance and depth of understanding. Advisors could nominate from questions they've seen and answered.

4. Nov 28, 2016 #3
    Good questions are important to recognize. I wonder how easy it will be to track over time.

5. Nov 28, 2016 #4

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

"Computer assist." The bookmark function you have so thoughtfully included. I tend to notice/pay attention to thought provoking questions.

6. Nov 28, 2016 #5
    You should be nominating them to be featured :smile:

7. Nov 28, 2016 #6

OCR

Maybe I'm blind ?... what bookmark function ?

8. Nov 28, 2016 #7

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

and people who actually complete the homework template well are exceptional.

9. Nov 28, 2016 #8

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Maybe we could post a few examples here in this thread, to start to get an idea for how often they happen, and what qualities go into a great question to start a thread...

I'm off to search for some examples... :smile:

10. Nov 28, 2016 #9
    Gold members and advisors have the function

11. Nov 28, 2016 #10

OCR

:check: ... thanks Greg.

12. Dec 1, 2016 #11

BillTre

Science Advisor

Basically I like the idea.

However:
    It would be interesting to compare the results from a survey approach like this with a more functional approach such as like who started the longest (most responses) threads. This should be easy for the computer to do.
    Or it could be analyzed like baseball stats: best average with a minimum number of posts.
    Or maybe likes/thread.

Or maybe this could include questions that are non-starters, that is in posts internal in the thread (pun, sorry).

This would contrast what might be considered functionally the best:
    - by number of responses elicited vs.
    - a crowd sourced selection based on some set of intellectual criteria.

I think some of the starting questions might lead be not well posed, but to long threads to sort it all out. If it all ends well, this could be a considered a good question.

13. Dec 1, 2016 #12

Ygggdrasil

Science Advisor

I feel that some of icakeov's threads in the biology forum are good examples. While their initial questions help to start productive discussions, what makes them stand out are their thoughtful follow-up questions that show they are thinking deeply about the material and learning from the thread. Here are a few examples:
    https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...e-expressed-in-every-cell-in-organism.889107/
    https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/how-many-times-does-an-average-protein-fold.886855/
    https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/do-amino-acids-spontaneously-bond-within-a-cell.893683/

Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted