Is There a Way to Give Other Members Awards?

• Thread starter kyphysics
  • Start date
In summary, if someone has given great feedback in a thread, there is a way to give that person a virtual "trophy" or award of sorts.
kyphysics
If someone has really given us great feedback in a thread, is there a way to give that person a virtual "trophy" or award of sorts beyond just a basic "like" and verbal thank you?

I feel like a few members over the years have been really helpful to me and thought it'd be cool if we could give others "awards" of sorts (maybe like virtual badges they can rack up on their profile) for their generous time and help with things.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would suggest casting your vote for these people in the yearly end-of-year PF Awards. Winning one of those gives a badge during the coming year.

Apart from that things might get cluttered with more badges. The total number of likes shows up in your profile picture and I typically feel that is rather adequate.

Likes StoneTemplePython, Greg Bernhardt and davenn
I agree with Orodruin. The current way has the advantage that whatever reward depends on a broader group of people agreeing.
Personally I feel very good when someone actually expresses thanks in a post, and also when I see that an effort at explaining or helping has actually been successful ...:smile: no further ornaments required !

Likes Wrichik Basu and Bandersnatch
kyphysics said:
I feel like a few members over the years have been really helpful to me and thought it'd be cool if we could give others "awards" of sorts (maybe like virtual badges they can rack up on their profile) for their generous time and help with things.
Usually a personal heart felt PM is most appreciated. You can also PM me these user names and perhaps there is something extra I can do.

Before joining PF, I was a member of Physics Stack Exchange. They have a system of voting and giving bounties. If a question is up voted, the user gets 5 reputation points. An answer, when up voted, gets 10 points. Giving bounties increases the reputation of the user getting the bounty by that amount, and it is supposed to be a way of thanking the user.

I am glad PF doesn't have that system. A simple and hearty "thank you" by private message is the best way, along with the ones @Orodruin has mentioned.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
BvU said:
Personally I feel very good when someone actually expresses thanks in a post

Wrichik Basu said:
A simple and hearty "thank you" by private message is the best way
I agree completely. In my view a PM saying "thank you" is much more valuable and meaningful than a mere click of a "Like" button.

Likes Wrichik Basu
BvU said:
I agree with Orodruin. The current way has the advantage that whatever reward depends on a broader group of people agreeing.
Personally I feel very good when someone actually expresses thanks in a post, and also when I see that an effort at explaining or helping has actually been successful ...:smile: no further ornaments required !

Those are some interesting counter-points that I'll think about. I still like my idea of an instant "reward," but I can see you guys' point as well.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Usually a personal heart felt PM is most appreciated. You can also PM me these user names and perhaps there is something extra I can do.

Sure, I'll PM u sometime with some names. Thanks.

Mark44 said:
I agree completely. In my view a PM saying "thank you is much more valuable and meaningful than a mere click of a "Like" button.

It could just be the Facebook-ization of my brain too. ...where you can give "gifts" to friends. I've just gotten used to being able to do fun stuff like that. I see it as a cool and fun way to interact more on this site. But, I can see the other point of it getting potentially cluttered with this sort of stuff and a heartfelt thank you alrady being enough.

Orodruin said:
Apart from that things might get cluttered with more badges

I thought this was right, but also kind of funny... I can only think of, well, one user who might have this problem of too much badges cluttering the screen :wink:

StoneTemplePython said:
I thought this was right, but also kind of funny... I can only think of, well, one user who might have this problem of too much badges cluttering the screen :wink:
If you think it is cluttered now, imagine I had another one for every 100 likes ...

Likes mfb and BvU
Orodruin said:
If you think it is cluttered now, imagine I had another one for every 100 likes ...
You would have to become mentor again to keep it under control.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
mfb said:
You would have to become mentor again to keep it under control.
I love this idea! :smile:

kyphysics said:
If someone has really given us great feedback in a thread, is there a way to give that person a virtual "trophy" or award of sorts beyond just a basic "like"...
I don't see a logical difference between a "trophy" and a "like". It just sounds like another name for the same thing to me.

russ_watters said:
I don't see a logical difference between a "trophy" and a "like". It just sounds like another name for the same thing to me.

I'm not sure the word "logical" is the best fit here, russ_watters, but I'm assuming you meant something more like the "symbolic value of" or "sentimental value of," etc...I think I know what you mean. But, technically, there is obviously an ontological difference between a "like" and a virtual object of appreciation, such as a "trophy" or "fun award" of sorts (some gaming forums allow users to give virtual food items and prizes to other members, for example). In the most trivial sense, they are literally different things. But, on a more symbolic/sentimental/personal/social level, the latter often offer a more robust value to them (e.g., they are more "fun"). They are functionally equivalent probably, but one is more robust in the fun department - kind of how a teacher giving you a sticker on your third grade math test is more robust of a congratulations to some than a mere written smiley face next to that big fat "A+" grade.

kyphysics said:
I'm not sure the word "logical" is the best fit here, russ_watters, but I'm assuming you meant something more like the "symbolic value of" or "sentimental value of," etc...I think I know what you mean. But, technically, there is obviously an ontological difference between a "like" and a virtual object of appreciation, such as a "trophy" or "fun award" of sorts (some gaming forums allow users to give virtual food items and prizes to other members, for example). In the most trivial sense, they are literally different things. But, on a more symbolic/sentimental/personal/social level, the latter often offer a more robust value to them (e.g., they are more "fun"). They are functionally equivalent probably, but one is more robust in the fun department - kind of how a teacher giving you a sticker on your third grade math test is more robust of a congratulations to some than a mere written smiley face next to that big fat "A+" grade.
We here at Physics Forums love to help people. In fact, nothing is asked from the person asking the question when he/she gets a suitable answer: neither money, nor anything else (some sites require you to pay for an answer to your question, however trivial it be). PF works on the foundation of selfless help in the field of science.

When you thank a person, it need not always show up on the user's profile that you've thanked him/her. The person who has been answering your questions, feels happy when you get the answer you're looking for; the thanking is a token of appreciation. I don't know how long in life you remember a teacher giving you a sticker for good marks. It is more important to leave a mark on people's mind and heart rather than a trophy beside the profile picture. A "thank you" helps in building up human relations, which are perhaps vanishing from the world today in the wake of social media, and people craving for more "likes". Human relations are more important than any up vote received on social media.

The option of "like" has a separate use as far as I see: for example, if I post something in a thread, and others support it, then a "like" is better than everyone quoting my post and supporting it. But it does not substitute a 'thank you'.

I will say @Greg Bernhardt has designed a balanced system. Trophies are present, but thanking the person verbally has also been given equal importance.

Last edited:
Likes BillTre, NTL2009 and BvU
Wrichik Basu said:
We here at Physics Forums love to help people. In fact, nothing is asked from the person asking the question when he/she gets a suitable answer: neither money, nor anything else (some sites require you to pay for an answer to your question, however trivial it be). PF works on the foundation of selfless help in the field of science.

Didn't know of pay sites, WB. Very thankful for the knowledgeable and willingly helpful people on here, who do it for free and personal joy!

When you thank a person, it need not always show up on the user's profile that you've thanked him/her. The person who has been answering your questions, feels happy when you get the answer you're looking for; the thanking is a token of appreciation. I don't know how long in life you remember a teacher giving you a sticker for good marks. It is more important to leave a mark on people's mind and heart rather than a trophy beside the profile picture. A "thank you" helps in building up human relations, which are perhaps vanishing from the world today in the wake of social media, and people craving for more "likes". Human relations are more important than any up vote received on social media.

I totally get what you're saying. I still just think it's something "extra" that can be fun to have on the forum. Kind of how like my mom says: "You don't need to buy me x/y/z for my birthday, Christmas, etc. Just the thought matters." Really, I 10000% agree it's the spirit behind it that usually matters most to people. I think just having "more" ways to say thanks can be fun and appreciated too. :smile:

Sometimes it's nice to give mom or dad a really expensive dinner too. haha

Alright, I'll bow out of this thread, before it gets circular in dialogue. I think there's no real, deep disagreement on points. Thank you all, however, for when you do take the time to utilize your expertise to help others, who may be in need and not know where else to turn. In a few situations, I've been especially thankful, because of how frustrated I was with things. Kind and helpful responses were uplifting and useful for problem-solving! It really does mean a lot sometimes and I thank everyone who has ever done this here!

May God return His favor and grace to you all as well!

1. What is the purpose of giving other members awards?

The purpose of giving other members awards is to recognize and appreciate their contributions and achievements within the scientific community. It is a way to acknowledge their hard work and dedication to their research and to promote a culture of recognition and encouragement among peers.

2. Who can give awards to other members?

Typically, awards can be given by a committee or panel of experts in a specific field, or by an organization or society that has established an award program. In some cases, individual members may also have the opportunity to nominate and give awards to other members.

3. What types of awards can be given to other members?

There are various types of awards that can be given to other members, such as achievement awards, research grants, fellowships, and scholarships. These awards can recognize a member's contributions to a specific field of study, their potential for future success, or their overall impact on the scientific community.

4. How are award recipients selected?

The selection process for award recipients varies depending on the organization or committee giving the awards. Typically, nominees are evaluated based on their accomplishments, contributions, and potential impact in their respective fields. Evaluation criteria may also include factors such as innovation, leadership, and collaboration.

5. Can members receive multiple awards?

Yes, members can receive multiple awards throughout their career. In fact, receiving multiple awards can be a testament to the quality and impact of their work. However, some organizations or committees may have restrictions or guidelines in place regarding the number of awards a member can receive within a certain time frame.