Who Were the 2017 PF Award Winners?

  • Topic: Announcement 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
56 replies · 8K views
Orodruin said:
You know that is a myth, right?
Not sure. But then why there is no nobel of Mathematics?
[Google it - I haven't done a full search though]
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Evo
Physics news on Phys.org
Stavros Kiri said:
Not sure. But then why there is no nobel of Mathematics?
[Google it]
We will never know for sure simply because there is no record of any reason. The most likely scenario is that it simply did not occur to Nobel. He wanted to award the most important “discovery or invention” and selected five areas out of which four were very close to his own interests and the fifth (medicine) of obvious benefit to mankind in Nobel’s mind. As an applied engineer, it is likely that he did not consider mathematics to be of direct benefit or to encompass discoveries or inventions in the sense he meant it.

Swedish mathematicians Hörmander and Gårding wrote a peer reviewed paper on the subject of why there is no Nobel prize in mathematics and effectively debunked the idea that it was because of an affair. However, the story sounds juicy and is therefore retold without reasonable source criticism.

Edit: Also, the fact that I am Swedish and never had any professor tell me this story should probably be indicative of that the supposition of the affair probably did not even originate in Sweden.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Evo, cnh1995, dextercioby and 1 other person
Orodruin said:
We will never know for sure simply because there is no record of any reason. The most likely scenario is that it simply did not occur to Nobel. He wanted to award the most important “discovery or invention” and selected five areas out of which four were very close to his own interests and the fifth (medicine) of obvious benefit to mankind in Nobel’s mind. As an applied engineer, it is likely that he did not consider mathematics to be of direct benefit or to encompass discoveries or inventions in the sense he meant it.

Swedish mathematicians Hörmander and Gårding wrote a peer reviewed paper on the subject of why there is no Nobel prize in mathematics and effectively debunked the idea that it was because of an affair. However, the story sounds juicy and is therefore retold without reasonable source criticism.
It makes sense
 
doglover9754 said:
I just realized. Why are there no females? I mean, female winners. I didn’t check who got nominated for each category.
The large majority of PF users is male.

If we go by users who set their gender in their profile: 82% if we consider all users, but 94% of the users with more than 500 posts. The large majority doesn’t set their gender in the profile and you can put in wrong information, so it is unclear how useful these numbers are. If you look at the top 20 in total posts, the fraction is 95% (hi @Evo).
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Evo, dextercioby and Stavros Kiri
PRASHANT KUMAR said:
how to write down mathematical statements easily in the thread?
See Help -> LaTeX.
I don’t think this is the right place for questions about forum functions.
 
Thank you for voting for me and congratulations to all winners!
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Evo, Charles Link, Nucleus _Basalis and 1 other person
I would also like to thank everyone who voted this year. Happy New Year everyone.
:partytime:
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Evo, vanhees71 and Stavros Kiri
I would have won if you deduct the millions of people who voted illegally...:biggrin:

Just kidding!
Congratulations to everyone and happy new year!
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Stavros Kiri, Evo, Borg and 1 other person
Congratulations to all of the winners and nominees!
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Stavros Kiri, mfb, vanhees71 and 1 other person
Congrats to all the winners :smile:
Happy New Year everyone
 
doglover9754 said:
I just realized. Why are there no females? I mean, female winners. I didn’t check who got nominated for each category.
Lavinia won Mathematics, now in the US, Lavinia would be a female name. The user does not specify male or female...

But Sophie is a girl's name, my female cousine is named Sophie. But sophiecentaur says he is male.

Does it matter?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: DrClaude
Congratulations to all of the winners.

sophiecentaur said:
... the really great thing is that Greg and his Christmas Elves make this Forum so good that we all feel it's worthwhile to keep posting here.
Indeed they do.

I think Greg deserves this medal.
Gregs Metal.jpg
 
Attachments
  • Gregs Metal.jpg
    Gregs Metal.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 986
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: DrClaude, davenn, vanhees71 and 4 others
Speaking of badge lists ... Why does it feel like my badge list makes my short posts taller? :biggrin::rolleyes:
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: vanhees71, lekh2003 and dlgoff
It does. Everything beyond four entries makes single-line posts with your current signature longer.
I think 7 (+Education advisor) would be the maximum the forum has.
 
Orodruin said:
Speaking of badge lists ... Why does it feel like my badge list makes my short posts taller? :biggrin::rolleyes:
2 options, we can remove some badges or you can write longer posts :biggrin:
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: davenn, DennisN, vanhees71 and 3 others
mfb said:
Everything beyond four entries makes single-line posts with your current signature longer.
Why do you know these things? :-p:biggrin:

Greg Bernhardt said:
2 options, we can remove some badges or you can write longer posts :biggrin:
I think I write a fair share of long posts, but sometimes there is no answer to be given but a simple "No." :rolleyes:
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: vanhees71 and dlgoff
Orodruin said:
Why do you know these things? :-p:biggrin:
I removed badges until your post didn't get smaller any more.

Locally in the browser, not in the forum settings ;).

screen.png
 
Attachments
  • screen.png
    screen.png
    14.4 KB · Views: 800
mfb said:
I removed badges until your post didn't get smaller any more.

Locally in the browser, not in the forum settings ;).

View attachment 217869
Experimentalist through and through. Fortunate that you had a theorist who could tell you where to look! o0):biggrin::cool:
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: dlgoff, vanhees71, lekh2003 and 1 other person
Why don't we have a "favorite mentor" award? I would love that.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: vanhees71
Greg Bernhardt said:
Mentors work as a team. We are a single organism :smile:
I vote for the collective!
we-are-the-borg-borg-base-picard-all-your-belong-star-trek-demotivational-poster-1249788313.jpg
 
Attachments
  • we-are-the-borg-borg-base-picard-all-your-belong-star-trek-demotivational-poster-1249788313.jpg
    we-are-the-borg-borg-base-picard-all-your-belong-star-trek-demotivational-poster-1249788313.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 585
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: lekh2003, Borg, davenn and 2 others
Greg Bernhardt said:
Now for a special congratulations to the popular vote winners!
Thanks! What can I say? I wish for world peace and have a strong desire to help... sorry, wrong ceremony. I want to thank my parents for always being there (particularly my mother for being there when I was born) and I am thankful for my cat not sharpening his claws on my body. I also have to thank the PF mentors for accepting my bribes. PayPal is great! But most of all, I want to thank @davenn and @Borg for winning other categories so I could sneak in and win a category.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Borg, vanhees71, davenn and 1 other person
DennisN said:
I want to thank @davenn and @Borg for winning other categories so I could sneak in and win a category.
you are welcome :biggrin: :smile:

Dave
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: DennisN and vanhees71
DennisN said:
I want to thank @davenn and @Borg for winning other categories so I could sneak in and win a category.
That's how I felt about Dave's multiple wins that snuck me in also. :oldsmile:
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: davenn and DennisN
Borg said:
That's how I felt about Dave's multiple wins that snuck me in also. :oldsmile:
Very smart of you to be the second most voted in two of the votes Dave ended up first in. Well planned sir.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: davenn and Borg
It's great to see those who put a lot of effort into helping others get recognition! Great job to all!
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: davenn and Greg Bernhardt