Overvoltage on the power supply to compressor motors

In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of a compressor motor operating at a voltage higher than the manufacturer's specified 400V by 12%. The participant is being challenged to adjust transformer tappings or find another solution to reduce the voltage at the source. They consider installing a buck-boost transformer or instructing the maintenance team to step down the transformer output, but they are unsure if this is the best approach. They also mention that other plants in the building are not experiencing the same overvoltage issues and wonder if the power company should be contacted to check the voltage at the connection. They also discuss the possibility of using controls or a different type of starter for the compressor motor.
Mirek2010
Hope you may help me to understand how detrimental to compressor motor would be if it operated at voltages exceeding the manufacturer's specified 400V by 12%? so 448V.
I have vendor engineers saying since it exceeds 10% they cannot safely run the plant and of course the voltage monitoring relay trips when such occurrence happens (relay pod setting is 10% with range till 22%). The voltage is normally 425V as observed on the bus bar tap off unit, with transformer giving out max of 433V.

I am being challeneged to adjust transformer tappings and reduce the voltage at source.

Please advise how do you think I should deal with such issues,
Thank you very much

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm not quite following.

400V - compressor manufacturer specification
425V - nominal voltage observed at bus
433V - maximum voltage observed at bus
448V - ?

Do any other loads on that transformer require operation at the higher voltage?
If not, then changing the tap setting is a reasonable option.

Another option is to size and install a buck-boost transformer at the compressor wired for "buck" operation.
5% tap would reduce 425V to about 404V, and 448V to about 426V.

Likes russ_watters
Hello Asymptotic,
433V was what the transformer name plate stated as max output, I am new to the building, as part of the FM team; however the Schneider's load monitoring system indicates that the transformer gives out 446V on all three phases. Then the bus bar tap off unit on 9th floor is showing 446-8V and then on Level 16 are the chillers fed from L9.
Chiller commissioning eng reported (without measuring anything) that the voltage monitoring relay on the chiller package tripped and he left stating the overvoltage is exceeding manufacturer's limits and compressor cannot be run safely.
There is as well as I understand the issue that the transformers' output is excessive and non complying with current regs re supplied voltage ranges.
Not sure if we should instruct the maintenance team to step down the transformer output on tappings or not. No other plant in the building is suffering from the overvoltage issues.

Should we adjust the output from TX? or is there any other way to limit the voltage to the chillers on L16 (addition to existing building systems).

Thank you,

Before installing new equipment, ask your power company to check the voltage where your company connects. It may be too high there. If so, it is the power company's responsibility to adjust it.

Mirek2010 said:
Hello Asymptotic,
433V was what the transformer name plate stated as max output, I am new to the building, as part of the FM team; however the Schneider's load monitoring system indicates that the transformer gives out 446V on all three phases. Then the bus bar tap off unit on 9th floor is showing 446-8V and then on Level 16 are the chillers fed from L9.
Chiller commissioning eng reported (without measuring anything) that the voltage monitoring relay on the chiller package tripped and he left stating the overvoltage is exceeding manufacturer's limits and compressor cannot be run safely.
There is as well as I understand the issue that the transformers' output is excessive and non complying with current regs re supplied voltage ranges.
Not sure if we should instruct the maintenance team to step down the transformer output on tappings or not. No other plant in the building is suffering from the overvoltage issues.

Should we adjust the output from TX? or is there any other way to limit the voltage to the chillers on L16 (addition to existing building systems).

Thank you,
Can you photograph and post a picture of the transformer nameplate? Different manufacturers do it different ways, but this 433 volt 'max voltage' specification sounds like it may be secondary voltage when the transformer tap changer is maxed out (and primary voltage is at nameplate specification).

Mirek2010 said:
No other plant in the building is suffering from the overvoltage issues.
What voltages are measured at those chillers? Most of my experience is with Trane, and their chillers have brought out and displayed internally-sensed line voltage data for maybe the last 20 years. I'd expect modern units regardless of manufacturer all do the same.

What controls the compressor motor? Is it a wye-delta circuit using electomechanical contactors, or is it based on some sort of electronic soft-starter or variable speed inverter drive?

Mirek2010 said:
Should we adjust the output from TX?
Only if you are in Texas :)
I've never seen 'TX' used as an abbreviation for it, but from context I'm guessing you mean 'transformer'.

You'll have to make that decision.

@anorlunda makes an excellent point in post #4, and one that didn't occur to me as it was never an issue with our local power company. Start there.

I can say that applying 446V to a 400V machine is inadvisable, and (so long as primary voltage is within spec) changing transformer tap selection is the usual way of dealing with this type of overvoltage situation. Just be sure the transformer primary is de-energized before switching the tap changer. Most aren't built to accommodate 'hot' operation, and would suffer catastrophic failure.

Likes russ_watters
Thank you all very much, I will confirm primary side voltage to start with.
By the way, the compressor motors have soft start modules only, no frequency inverters, I guess it was value engineering at first sight. And yest TX was to mean a transformer.
Thanks again, will update you if indeed we went down the road of changing tappings.

1. What is overvoltage on the power supply to compressor motors?

Overvoltage on the power supply to compressor motors refers to a situation where the voltage supplied to the motor is higher than the rated voltage. This can be caused by various factors such as power surges, faulty wiring, or malfunctioning equipment.

2. What are the effects of overvoltage on compressor motors?

The effects of overvoltage on compressor motors can range from minor performance issues to serious damage. It can cause the motor to overheat, leading to premature wear and tear. In extreme cases, it can even result in a complete motor failure.

3. How can overvoltage be detected on the power supply to compressor motors?

Overvoltage can be detected by using a voltmeter to measure the voltage at the motor's power supply. If the reading is significantly higher than the rated voltage, it is likely that there is an overvoltage issue.

4. What are some ways to prevent overvoltage on compressor motor power supply?

There are several ways to prevent overvoltage on compressor motor power supply. These include installing surge protectors, using voltage regulators, and regularly inspecting and maintaining the electrical system. It is also important to ensure that the motor is properly sized for the voltage it is receiving.

5. Can overvoltage on the power supply to compressor motors be fixed?

Yes, overvoltage on the power supply to compressor motors can be fixed. The solution will depend on the cause of the overvoltage. In some cases, simply correcting the wiring or replacing faulty equipment may be enough. However, if the overvoltage is a recurring issue, it may be necessary to install additional protective measures or consult a professional electrician for a more permanent solution.