Oxygen Tank: Question about gas laws

In summary, a cylinder of compressed oxygen with a volume of 17000 L and initial pressure of 248 atm is transferred to a partially filled holding tank of 10000 L with a initial pressure of 22 atm. Using the ideal gas law, the new pressure in the holding tank is calculated to be 547.5324675 atm.
electricblue7

Homework Statement

A cylinder of compressed Oxygen is carried on a spacecraft headed for Mars. The compressed gas cylinder has a volume of 17000 L and is filled to a pressure of 248 atm at 231 K. The maximum pressure the cylinder can hold is 1000 atm.The contents of the cylinder are then entirely transferred to a partially filled holding tank of volume 10,000 L, originally at pressure 22 atm and 300 K. What is the new pressure in the holding tank at 300 K?

Homework Equations

PV = nRT

The Attempt at a Solution

Since we are given the initial pressure, I think we can can calculate the number of moles of gas in the tank before the transfer using PV = n RT.

I did: (248 atm)(17,000 L) = n (0.0821) (231 K)
n = 222,303.0725 moles

Then I used this number and plugged it into the ideal gas law equation once more to come up with the new pressure.

(P) (10,000 L) = (222,303.0725 moles)(0.0821) (300 K)

P = 547.5324675 atm

It says this is wrong, and I'm not sure why.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

How many moles were initially in the Final 10K liter tank?

Don't you need to consider the total number of moles in the final tank?

I think so, but this is all the information the problem gives...

You are transferring 17000 L of oxygen into partially filled cylinder containing 10000 L of gas. So first of all find the total mass of the gas in mole. The volume remains constant.

1. How does an oxygen tank store and release oxygen?

An oxygen tank stores oxygen under high pressure, typically between 1800 and 2200 psi. When the valve is opened, the pressure is released, allowing the oxygen to flow through a regulator and out of the tank.

2. What is the purpose of the gas laws in relation to an oxygen tank?

The gas laws, such as Boyle's law and Charles's law, help us understand the behavior of gases in different conditions. These laws are important in the design and use of oxygen tanks, as they dictate how the gas will behave under pressure and at different temperatures.

3. How long does an oxygen tank last?

The duration of an oxygen tank depends on its size, the flow rate at which the oxygen is being used, and the pressure at which the oxygen is stored. A standard size oxygen tank can last anywhere from 4-12 hours, while a smaller portable tank may only last 1-2 hours.

4. Can an oxygen tank explode?

An oxygen tank can potentially explode if it is exposed to high heat or if the pressure inside becomes too high. Proper handling and storage of oxygen tanks is crucial to prevent this from happening.

5. What safety precautions should be taken when using an oxygen tank?

When using an oxygen tank, it is important to follow all safety guidelines provided by the manufacturer. This includes keeping the tank upright and secure, avoiding exposure to heat or flames, and ensuring proper ventilation in the area where the tank is being used.