Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Oxygen vacancies in the structure?

1. Apr 1, 2016 #1
    Please could someone explain to me what is meant by the follow sentence:

"Intrinsic oxygen vacancies in the TiO2 structure might also play important roles as nucleation sites for cavitation."

I understand the nucleation bit but what are "oxygen vacancies in the structure"?

Any help would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 1, 2016 #2

DrDu

Science Advisor

Sites in the crystal structure of TiO2 which are usually occupied by O but where an O atom (or ion) is missing.

4. Apr 1, 2016 #3
    Ahh I see many thanks! Yes that makes sense as very small crevices in impurities in a liquid is a source of nucleation of cavities when ultrasound is applied. Although im kind of suprised that this "hole" would be big enough for there to exist a macroscopic gap. Still slightly confused, but I think you are correct. Thanks again!

5. Apr 1, 2016 #4

DrDu

Science Advisor

The vacancy weakens the bonding or cohesion at this site. So it might well be that it acts as a nucleation site, though it certainly isn't a macroscopic gap.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted