P&ID Symbols Reference Textbook or similar

In summary, the conversation discussed the need for a reliable source of P&ID symbols for drawing and analyzing P&IDs. The viewer requested a textbook or similar resource with a comprehensive collection of symbols, while also mentioning the possibility of using existing facility drawings. A link to a primer on P&ID symbols was provided, but the viewer expressed a desire for a more extensive document that included symbols for specific components.
pavadrin
To the viewer of this post,

What is a good source for the symbols used in a P&ID? I would like to have a textbook or similar which would have all (if possible, or a majority) which I could easily reference to now and in the future when drawing/analysis P&ID's.

Kind regards,
pavadrin

Engineering news on Phys.org
If you're working on P&IDs for an existing facility there is usually a drawing (numbered something like P&ID-000 or -100) that has the 'standard' symbols for that facility.

Here's a little primer:
"www.lle.rochester.edu/pub/documents/ext/P&ID.pdf"[/URL]
This was the first hit on a google search:
[URL]http://www.google.com/search?q=%22p%26id+symbols%22&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a"[/URL]

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for the replies. the university which i study at uses P&ID-100.

@Don, thanks for the link. i did come across that before in my google search, however i was looking for something a much more extensive, a document which contained the symbols for a sensible heat storage bed, air heater, gasifiers, and so on

Last edited:

I recommend using a P&ID Symbols Reference Textbook as a reliable source for the symbols used in P&IDs. Such a textbook would provide a comprehensive collection of symbols commonly used in P&IDs, making it a valuable resource for accurately creating and analyzing these diagrams. Additionally, having a physical textbook or a digital version that can be easily accessed would make it convenient for you to reference these symbols whenever needed. It is important to note that P&ID symbols may vary slightly depending on the industry or company, so it is always best to consult the specific standards and guidelines used by your organization. However, a P&ID Symbols Reference Textbook would serve as a solid foundation for understanding and utilizing these symbols in your work. I wish you the best of luck in your P&ID endeavors.

1. What is a P&ID symbol reference textbook?

A P&ID symbol reference textbook is a guidebook that contains a comprehensive list of symbols and abbreviations used in Process and Instrumentation Diagrams (P&IDs) in the field of engineering. P&IDs are used to represent the process flow, equipment, and instrumentation in a plant or industrial facility. This reference textbook is essential for engineers, technicians, and other professionals involved in the design, operation, and maintenance of industrial processes.

2. What type of information is typically included in a P&ID symbol reference textbook?

A P&ID symbol reference textbook typically contains a list of symbols and abbreviations with their corresponding meanings, as well as a brief description of their usage. It may also include examples of P&ID diagrams with annotations explaining the symbols used. Some textbooks may also provide information on industry standards and conventions for P&ID symbols.

3. How can a P&ID symbol reference textbook be helpful in my work?

A P&ID symbol reference textbook can be a valuable resource for engineers and technicians in their day-to-day work. It can help them understand and interpret P&IDs accurately, saving time and minimizing errors. It also serves as a quick reference guide for new employees or those unfamiliar with a particular industry's symbols and standards.

4. Are there different versions of P&ID symbol reference textbooks available?

Yes, there are different versions of P&ID symbol reference textbooks available, depending on the industry and country. Some textbooks may be specific to a particular industry, such as chemical processing or oil and gas, while others may cover a broad range of industries. Additionally, textbooks may be tailored to specific countries, as symbols and standards may vary between regions.

5. Can I access a P&ID symbol reference textbook online?

Yes, there are various online resources available that provide access to P&ID symbol reference textbooks. Some may be available for free, while others may require a subscription or purchase. Additionally, many engineering software programs include a built-in P&ID symbol library and reference guide.