P-N Junction Diode Problem HELP

In summary, to find the current through a pn junction diode with a saturation current of 1e-12 A and a positive voltage of 0.68 V applied to it, use the equation I=Is(e(Vd)/(Vt))-1), where Vt is the voltage dependent on temperature and is 26mV at 300 K.
truettct

Homework Statement

A pn junction diode has saturation current Is= 1e-12 A. What is the current through this diode if a positive voltage 0.68 V is applied to it? (Unit: A)

Homework Equations

I=Is(e(Vd)/(Vt))-1)

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't even know where to begin, but i just need a good explanation and how to solve this problem to help me visually learn it. I can't find much info on the web about this problem.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
truettct said:

Homework Statement

A pn junction diode has saturation current Is= 1e-12 A. What is the current through this diode if a positive voltage 0.68 V is applied to it? (Unit: A)

Homework Equations

I=Is(e(Vd)/(Vt))-1)

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't even know where to begin, but i just need a good explanation and how to solve this problem to help me visually learn it. I can't find much info on the web about this problem.

Thanks

You have the value of Is and Vd = 0.68V. The voltage VT is dependent of temperature. It is 26mV at 300 K.
Do the math.

1. What is a P-N junction diode?

A P-N junction diode is a semiconductor device made of two layers - a P-type layer and an N-type layer. The junction between these layers creates a barrier that allows current to flow in only one direction.

2. How does a P-N junction diode work?

When a positive voltage is applied to the P-type layer and a negative voltage to the N-type layer, it creates a depletion region at the junction. This depletion region acts as a barrier, allowing current to flow from the P-type layer to the N-type layer but not vice versa.

3. What is the symbol and structure of a P-N junction diode?

The symbol for a P-N junction diode is a triangle with a vertical line attached to the base. The structure consists of a P-type semiconductor on one side, an N-type semiconductor on the other, and a depletion region at the junction.

4. What are the applications of P-N junction diodes?

P-N junction diodes are commonly used in rectifiers, switches, and voltage regulators in electronic circuits. They are also used in photovoltaic cells for converting light into electricity.

5. How can I solve common P-N junction diode problems?

The most common problem with P-N junction diodes is reverse bias breakdown. This can be solved by limiting the reverse voltage and current, using a diode with a higher breakdown voltage, or adding a reverse-biased diode in parallel. Other problems, such as high forward voltage drop or low forward current, can be solved by selecting the appropriate diode for the application.