Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: ~(p->q) of part of A Probabilistic Proof of Wallis's Formula for pi

1. Feb 13, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Write in symbols the negation of the theorem stated in part a.

part a:We immediately see that if g(x) is a nonnegative continuous function whose integral is finite, then there exists an a>0 such that a*g(x) is a continuous probability distribution (take a=1/[tex]\int g(x)dx[/tex] from -[tex]\infty[/tex] to [tex]\infty[/tex]).

The negation of P implies Q is equivalent to not P or Q.

The issue is with the P part.

Is ~P= g(x) isn't a nonnegative continuous fuction whose integral isn't finite?

I am not sure if both is parts need to be negated or just one.

Then for the Q part it is just itself starting with the existential quantifier.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2010 #2
    ~(P => Q) is equivalent to "P and not Q."

Since you don't need the negation of P, does that solve your problem?

Last edited: Feb 13, 2010
  4. Feb 13, 2010 #3
    Just for completeness sake:

I suppose P is the statement "g(x) is a non-negative continuous function whose integral is finite." I would re-write this as "g(x) is a function which is non-negative and continuous and whose integral is finite" to emphasize the internal logical structure. Since ~(a and b and c) = ~a or ~b or ~c, the negation of P is:

"g(x) is a function which is not continuous or assumes negative values or whose integral diverges."

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook