Pace and plan at which I can get into particle physics

In summary, the conversation is about someone wanting to study particle physics in more depth and asking for recommendations on what to know and where to start. They mention using Wikipedia as a resource but express concerns about it being fragmented. Others suggest resources such as books and websites for further learning.
Nicola Bourbaki
Hi guys!
Sorry for a really dumb question, but I want to study particle physics more in depth, since our university course didn't really satisfy me that much (and, when it comes to physics, I want to know everything I can get to). Can someone give me a general list of things I should know and work my knowledge from? Right now my education is going "wikipedia style" which is cool but really fragmented and, potentially, more damaging than beneficial.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried Griffiths- Introduction to elementary particles?
Or Halzen & Martin- Quarks and Leptons?

Greetings, I hope this helps:
http://www.iop.org/publications/iop/2009/page_38211.html
Symmetry Magazine.
An Introduction to the Standard Model of Particle Physics.
Particle Adventure.
You've mentioned that you are going "Wikipedia Style" I recommend going "Full Wikipedia Style" for those links can be found on the wiki.
Feel free to choose which you like.
Please note that those link above are resources themselves!

Thank you so much for your swift responses!
I didn't really looked into english literature (one of the downsides of being a student in eastern Europe, teachers don't recommend anything english at all and books on my native language are not that great) so I'll try to find those books and look through more websites.

1. What educational background do I need to have to pursue particle physics?

Most particle physicists have a strong foundation in physics, mathematics, and computer science. A bachelor's degree in physics or a related field is typically required, followed by a graduate degree in particle physics or a related specialization.

2. How long does it take to become a particle physicist?

Becoming a particle physicist typically takes around 8-12 years of education and training. This includes earning a bachelor's degree, a master's degree, and a PhD in particle physics, as well as completing postdoctoral research training.

3. What skills do I need to have to be successful in particle physics?

Some important skills for particle physicists include strong analytical and problem-solving skills, proficiency in advanced mathematics and computer programming, and the ability to work well in a team and communicate complex ideas effectively.

4. What is the job outlook for particle physicists?

The job outlook for particle physicists is positive, with a projected growth rate of 9% from 2018-2028. However, competition for jobs in this field is high, and many positions require advanced education and experience.

5. What are some potential career paths in particle physics?

Particle physicists can work in a variety of settings, including universities, national laboratories, and private research institutions. Some potential career paths include conducting research, teaching at the university level, and working in industry on projects related to particle physics, such as developing new technologies or applications.