Packing fraction for multi-atom basis

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of maximum packing fraction for a basis containing two different types of atoms. The suggestion is to begin with a unit cell and use the nearest neighbor distance to determine the radii of the atoms. There is no unique way to do this, but it can be done by maximizing the packing fraction with respect to the radii of the atoms.
james477
Hi,

I understand that the maximum packing fraction for a particular atomic structure can be calculated assuming the nearset neighbours are touching but my question is how can the maximum packing fraction be calculated for a basis containing two different types of atoms?

Thanks, James

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, begin with a unit cell.
Does http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atomic_packing_factor" example clarify matters?

Last edited by a moderator:
alxm said:
Well, begin with a unit cell.
Does http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atomic_packing_factor" example clarify matters?

So say I have a unit cell containing 1 atom of type X and 1 of type Y - this means that i can find the total volume of atoms per unit cell and i know the volume of the cell. But how would i go about finding the radii of these atoms which results in the maximum packing fraction? This is where i get lost..

Thanks, James

Last edited by a moderator:
There is no unique way to do it. You could simply choose R_x = R_y = R_NN/2 where R_NN is the nearest neighbor distance. Or you could work out the packing fraction analytically, and then maximize it with respect to R_x and R_y subject to the constraint that R_x + R_y = R_NN.

kanato said:
There is no unique way to do it. You could simply choose R_x = R_y = R_NN/2 where R_NN is the nearest neighbor distance. Or you could work out the packing fraction analytically, and then maximize it with respect to R_x and R_y subject to the constraint that R_x + R_y = R_NN.

Thanks, That makes sense - not quite sure how i would go about it but i'll give it some more thought.

What is the definition of packing fraction for multi-atom basis?

The packing fraction for multi-atom basis is a measure of the efficiency of packing atoms in a crystal structure. It is the ratio of the volume occupied by atoms to the total volume of the unit cell.

How is packing fraction for multi-atom basis calculated?

The packing fraction can be calculated by dividing the volume of the atoms in the unit cell by the total volume of the unit cell. This can be expressed as a percentage or a decimal value.

What are some factors that can affect the packing fraction for multi-atom basis?

The size and shape of the atoms, as well as the arrangement of atoms in the unit cell, can all impact the packing fraction for multi-atom basis. Additionally, the presence of impurities or defects in the crystal structure can also affect the packing fraction.

How does the packing fraction for multi-atom basis relate to the density of a material?

The packing fraction is directly related to the density of a material. The higher the packing fraction, the higher the density of the material. This is because a higher packing fraction means there is less empty space in the unit cell, leading to a greater number of atoms per unit volume.

Why is the packing fraction for multi-atom basis important in materials science?

The packing fraction is an important factor in determining the properties of materials. It can affect the strength, stability, and other physical and chemical properties of a material. In materials design, achieving a high packing fraction can be desirable in order to optimize the material's performance.