Pages don't seem to reload properly

• Thread starter Borg
  • Start date
In summary, there have been reports of newer computers not marking threads as read on the Physics Forums website unless the page is reloaded. This issue does not seem to be related to any changes in browser settings and may have started around two weeks ago. The affected computer is using Firefox 15 on Windows 7, while the unaffected one is using Firefox 3 on XP. Some users have tried turning off browser caching, but it did not solve the problem. It appears that the issue may be caused by a change in the time for setting threads as read, from 14 days to 7 days. This setting is stored in a cookie, which may be the reason for the discrepancy between the two computers. Some users have also experienced issues with
Borg
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I have two different computers that I access PF with and lately, the newer one isn't marking threads as read unless I reload the page. I haven't made any changes to my browser settings on either browser before this started. Was something changed about two weeks ago that might be causing this? The browser with the problem is Firefox 15 on Windows 7. The one that hasn't been affected is Firefox 3 on XP. I've tried a number of things including turning off all browser caching. No luck.

Physics news on Phys.org
Borg said:
I have two different computers that I access PF with and lately, the newer one isn't marking threads as read unless I reload the page. I haven't made any changes to my browser settings on either browser before this started. Was something changed about two weeks ago that might be causing this? The browser with the problem is Firefox 15 on Windows 7. The one that hasn't been affected is Firefox 3 on XP. I've tried a number of things including turning off all browser caching. No luck.

Yes, I changed the time for setting threads as read from I think 14 to 7. So if you don't come to PF within a week, threads older than a week will be marked as read. Your old computer likely has the setting preserved in a cookie. At some point it will expire and be created again using the new setting.

I think that the bug that I'm seeing is a little different. For example, I have bookmarked the My PF page as where I always start. Let's say that I haven't been on for a day and there are 4 links marked as unread. I normally work through the threads, visiting each in turn and returning via the back button. Now, when I hit the back button, all of the threads are still marked as unread. It stays this way even if I go to another page on the list and return again. I can visit all of the pages, return to the My PF page each time and they all stay marked as unread. I now have to reload the page to get the threads marked as having been read and they all update properly.

I've taken a screenshot of my cookies and will compare them with the other laptop later.

I am experiencing the same situation as Borg. When I use the back button on my browser (Firefox), the page does not refresh and the thread does not get marked as read. It simply fetches the cached page stored by the browser. I have to manually refresh. This started around the same time that I had some problems posting (500 errors). But I'm not sure if something has changed with PF or if something has changed with my browser (possibly an update that I don't remember :). I checked the html at the main page and the no cache headers are still there.

Note: I am not complaining about this. I actually like it this way. I prefer to have control over when a previous page reloads. The site has much quicker response and less load on the server. I posted a thread about it a while back.
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=478852

Something else that I remembered. When I return to the MyPF page, it also does not display any threads with new posts in any other threads either. For example, when I created this thread and returned to MyPF through the history, it didn't show up until I reloaded the page again.

Borg said:
Something else that I remembered. When I return to the MyPF page, it also does not display any threads with new posts in any other threads either. For example, when I created this thread and returned to MyPF through the history, it didn't show up until I reloaded the page again.

Are you talking about the "New Subscribed Threads"? If so, I am not having that problem.

Unless of course I use the back button to get to it and a new thread has appeared since I last loaded it.

TurtleMeister said:
Are you talking about the "New Subscribed Threads"? If so, I am not having that problem.

Unless of course I use the back button to get to it and a new thread has appeared since I last loaded it.
Yes, that's the page that the MyPF link at the top sends me to.

I'm having the same problem as described by Borg. (I'm using Firefox 19.)
Like Borg, I also find it annoying.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Yes, I changed the time for setting threads as read from I think 14 to 7. So if you don't come to PF within a week, threads older than a week will be marked as read. Your old computer likely has the setting preserved in a cookie. At some point it will expire and be created again using the new setting.
Could we store the unread threads in the database, instead of using cookies? This would remove three annoying "features" of the current system:
- Sometimes, threads are not marked as read properly
- if you don't load any forum page for more than 15 minutes, the forum marks everything as read. Very annoying if you read, write, or research for long posts.
- after visiting the last unread thread in a forum, the forum is still marked as unread until you visit the forum again.

I know that the control panel warns about the database usage, but that should be fine (=result of another forum of similar size).

mfb said:
Could we store the unread threads in the database, instead of using cookies?

I know that the control panel warns about the database usage, but that should be fine (=result of another forum of similar size).

Yes, but it is highly discouraged for big forums. What site does it work well on? Historically we have mysql problems. I don't wish to add to them.

For me, this issue of threads not being marked as read only occurs when I use the back button (browser fetches the page from cache). If I use the navigation links at the top of the page then the page is refreshed and thread is marked as read. I'm pretty sure this is the same action that Borg is seeing. However, he didn't specifically say if the page was reloading normally when he used the navigation links.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Yes, but it is highly discouraged for big forums. What site does it work well on?
http://diablo3.ingame.de/forum/ (German)
129,000 threads, 210,000 thread subscriptions, 27 million posts in the last 13 years (just 3 millions are still there).
Currently it is 0:45 AM here in germany, so visitor numbers are a bit low. It survived the peak of 4500 visitors (5 days after the release of Diablo 3) quite well, however.

TurtleMeister said:
For me, this issue of threads not being marked as read only occurs when I use the back button (browser fetches the page from cache). If I use the navigation links at the top of the page then the page is refreshed and thread is marked as read. I'm pretty sure this is the same action that Borg is seeing. However, he didn't specifically say if the page was reloading normally when he used the navigation links.
Yes, that's what I'm seeing also. Back button doesn't refresh but clicking a link marks them as read.

I'm seeing it on both browsers now also. Oh well.

1. Why do some web pages not seem to reload properly?

The most common reason for web pages not reloading properly is due to caching. When a web page is loaded, the browser saves a copy of the page on the user's device so that it can be accessed more quickly in the future. This can cause issues when the page is updated, as the browser may still be loading the old version from the cache instead of the updated version from the server.

2. How can I fix pages that are not reloading properly?

To fix this issue, you can try clearing your browser's cache and cookies. This will force the browser to load the updated version of the page. You can also try using a different browser or opening the page in incognito mode, which will not use cached data.

3. Why do some pages reload properly on one device but not on another?

This could be due to differences in browser settings or versions. It is also possible that the page is designed to work better on certain devices and may not be optimized for others.

4. Are there any other factors that can cause pages to not reload properly?

Yes, there may be network connectivity issues or server problems that can prevent pages from reloading properly. It is also possible that the website itself has a bug or malfunction that is causing the issue.

5. Is there a way to prevent pages from not reloading properly in the future?

As a user, you can try clearing your cache and cookies regularly to prevent any issues with outdated pages. As a website owner, you can ensure that your website is optimized and regularly updated to prevent any technical issues that could affect page reloading.