Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Palatini f(R) gravity and the variation

1. Jan 16, 2013 #1
    Hi friends,

going through Palatini gravity, I cannot do the variation for palatini f(R) gravity and get to the famous equation (Tsujikawa dark energy book equation 9.6):
    [tex]R_{\mu\nu} - \frac{1}{2}g_{\mu\nu}R =\frac{\kappa^2 T_{\mu\nu}}{F} - \frac{FR-f}{2F}g_{\mu\nu} + \frac{1}{F}(\nabla_\mu \nabla_\nu F - g_{\mu\nu} \Box F)- \frac{3}{2F^2}(\partial_\mu F\partial_\nu F - \frac{1}{2}g_{\mu\nu} (\nabla F)^2)[/tex]

I tried but it does not work!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 16, 2013 #2

bcrowell

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you want your math to show up correctly, you need to surround it with itex tags, like this: [itex]a^2+b^2=c^2[/itex]. Click on the QUOTE button in my post to see how I did that.

4. Jan 16, 2013 #3
    Thanks!

5. Jan 16, 2013 #4

bcrowell

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you edit your #1, we'll be able to read it.

6. Jan 17, 2013 #5
    Hi friends,

going through Palatini gravity, I cannot do the variation for palatini f(R) gravity and get to the famous equation (Tsujikawa dark energy book equation 9.6):

R[itex]_{\mu\nu}[/itex]-[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex] g[itex]_{\mu\nu}[/itex] =
    [itex]\frac{\kappa^{2} T_{\mu\nu}}{F}[/itex] - [itex]\frac{F R -f}{2F}[/itex] g[itex]_{\mu\nu}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{1}{F}[/itex] ([itex]\nabla[/itex] [itex]_{\mu}[/itex] [itex]\nabla[/itex] [itex]_{\nu}[/itex] F - g[itex]_{\mu\nu}[/itex] d'lambert F) - [itex]\frac{3}{2 F ^{2}}[/itex] [ [itex]\partial[/itex] [itex]_{\mu}[/itex] F [itex]\partial[/itex][itex]_{\nu}[/itex] F - [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex] g[itex]_{\mu\nu}[/itex] ( [itex]\nabla[/itex] F)[itex]^{2}[/itex]]

I tried but it does not work!

7. Jan 17, 2013 #6

Mentz114

Gold Member

[tex]R_{\mu\nu} - \frac{1}{2}g_{\mu\nu}R =\frac{\kappa^2 T_{\mu\nu}}{F} - \frac{FR-f}{2F}g_{\mu\nu} + \frac{1}{F}(\nabla_\mu \nabla_\nu F - g_{\mu\nu} \Box F)- \frac{3}{2F^2}(\partial_\mu F\partial_\nu F - \frac{1}{2}g_{\mu\nu} (\nabla F)^2)[/tex]

8. Jan 17, 2013 #7
    Yes this is the exact equation.
    But I do not know how they reach to this by combining
    [itex]\nabla_{\lambda}[/itex] ( [itex]\sqrt{-g}[/itex] G g[itex]^{\mu\nu}[/itex])=0

and

F R[itex]_{\mu\nu}[/itex] - [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex] f g[itex]_{\mu\nu}[/itex] = [itex]\kappa[/itex] [itex]^{2}[/itex] T [itex]_{\mu\nu}[/itex]

!!!

9. Jan 17, 2013 #8
    It is interesting to mention that there are actually two different R in this equation.
    The first one on the left hand side is R(g) and the second one in the right hand side is R(T)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook