Palatini Formalism generalizes GR to include degenerate metric?

• Thread starter kakarukeys
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gr Metric
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of Palatini Formalism and its application in general relativity. It is mentioned that some papers suggest that the formalism can still work even if the frame variables e^i_a are not an isomorphism. This generalization includes the cases of degenerate metric. However, it is pointed out that this approach cannot derive Einstein's Equation if e^i_a is not an isomorphism. The conversation then asks for an explanation of how this works and some resources are provided for further reading. The conversation ends with the question of whether anyone has observed or proposed to observe spacetime of degenerate metric before.
kakarukeys
:confused:
Some papers say that Palatini Formalism still works if the frame variables [tex]e^i_a[/tex]
is not an isomorphism (from tangent bundle to frame bundle), this generalizes GR to include the cases of degenerate metric.

But one could not derive the Einstein's Equation if [tex]e^i_a[/tex] is not an isomorphism!
Somebody please explain to me how it works?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you please tell me (us) first what are these "some papers"? Then after having been reading them, I shall try to understand and to answer. Thanks

Okay.
For example,
http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/9504036
page 26

and in Lectures on Non-perturbative Canonical Gravity, Abhay Ashtekar
he mentioned a generalization to degenerate metric case.

I read them and begin to understand.
But has anyone observed or proposed to observe spacetime of degenerate metric before?

1. What is the Palatini Formalism and how does it relate to General Relativity?

The Palatini Formalism is a mathematical framework for describing the theory of General Relativity (GR). It extends GR to include degenerate metric or metric-affine gravity, which allows for a more general description of spacetime curvature. In this formalism, the metric and affine connections are treated as independent variables, unlike in the traditional GR where the metric is assumed to be determined by the curvature of spacetime.

2. What motivated the development of Palatini Formalism?

The Palatini Formalism was developed due to the limitations of the traditional GR. In the traditional formulation, the metric is assumed to be related to the curvature of spacetime, which restricts the possible geometries that can be described. The Palatini Formalism was developed to overcome this limitation and provide a more general framework for describing spacetime.

3. How does the Palatini Formalism differ from the traditional GR?

In the traditional GR, the metric is assumed to be determined by the curvature of spacetime, whereas in the Palatini Formalism, the metric and affine connections are treated as independent variables. This allows for a more general description of spacetime curvature, including degenerate metric. Additionally, the equations of motion in the Palatini Formalism are different from those in traditional GR.

4. What are the advantages of using the Palatini Formalism?

The Palatini Formalism has several advantages over the traditional GR. It allows for a more general description of spacetime curvature, which can be useful in certain scenarios such as in the presence of matter with high energy densities. It also provides a simpler and more elegant mathematical framework for describing General Relativity.

5. Are there any applications of Palatini Formalism in physics?

Yes, there are several applications of Palatini Formalism in physics. It has been used in theories of gravity beyond GR, such as f(R) theories and scalar-tensor theories. It has also been applied in cosmology to study the evolution of the universe and the formation of large-scale structures. Additionally, the Palatini Formalism has been used in attempts to unify General Relativity with quantum mechanics.