Palin pick an insult to our intelligence

• News
  • Thread starter physucsc11
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Intelligence
In summary: I guess you could say that I was surprised that the information released about her turned out to be such a non-issue to the American people. In summary, the VP pick of Sarah Palin has been largely successful in attracting women voters to the McCain campaign. However, the media's initial response was mostly in support of Mrs. Palin, and there was little questioning of her ability or experience.
Here's the video of the call.
Just imagine this woman conducting relations with foreign countries.
JUST IMAGINE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcEiR01QK7o

Physics news on Phys.org
You can bet they won't be playing that on FOX.

She fell for this?

Does she not realize that political protocol would mean it would be ridiculous for the President of a Major European country to call and chit chat with her given that she is a VP candidate? Is she that deluded?

She wasn't listening to anything he was saying. Is this how she would really treat a call from the President of France? OY.

Last edited:
Didn't Bush fall for the same thing from Rick Mercer as Candian President Jean Poutine

Personally I think Obama should pay a million bucks to run that nationally as a 5 minute spot.

And then tell the country to not get punked on Nov 4 and Vote Obama.

PALIN: it's been great working with the Canadian officials.
It has? Which ones?

Canadian news must really be bad as we haven't heard or read or seen anything at all about Palin working with Canadian officials.

LowlyPion said:
Here's the video of the call.
Just imagine this woman conducting relations with foreign countries.
JUST IMAGINE.
Gack! I had to stop after "Hello, this is Sarah. . . . We have such great respect for you, John McCain and I. We love you . . . ."

My thoughts echo Evo's questions - this is how Palin would respond to world leaders?!

I suppose it's plausible that a world leader could call a US VP candidate, but it would seem that there would be some prior notification according to some protocol. I don't think world leaders spontaneously call candidates in other countries.

Astronuc said:
I suppose it's plausible that a world leader could call a US VP candidate, but it would seem that there would be some prior notification according to some protocol. I don't think world leaders spontaneously call candidates in other countries.
And nobody in the office is at all suspicous of someone ringing up - this must be why phishing scams work.

Makes me wonder if the Palin camp is waiting for big payoffs from Nigeria.

Astronuc said:

In reading another account I understand that it took them 5 days to set up the call, going first through the Secret Service and then her staff.

That right there is cause for concerns of a different sort.

No Caller-ID ?

LowlyPion said:
In reading another account I understand that it took them 5 days to set up the call, going first through the Secret Service and then her staff.

That right there is cause for concerns of a different sort.

No Caller-ID ?
:smile: It didn't occur to someone to check with the State Department? BTW - the guy posing as Sarkozy didn't sound like Sarkozy.

If Palin was smart, she'd pretend that it was a fake Palin who did the interview.

Maybe Palin should hire Tina Fey to screen her calls. :smile:

Palin is definitely not ready for Prime Time as VP. :biggrin: :rolleyes:

And Eagleberger's comments were spot on, and Cheney has zero credibility at this point.

Astronuc said:
:smile: It didn't occur to someone to check with the State Department? BTW - the guy posing as Sarkozy didn't sound like Sarkozy.

If Palin was smart, she'd pretend that it was a fake Palin who did the interview.

Maybe Palin should hire Tina Fey to screen her calls. :smile:

Palin is definitely not ready for Prime Time as VP. :biggrin: :rolleyes:

And Eagleberger's comments were spot on, and Cheney has zero credibility at this point.

The germ of the truth likely is that she is desperate to talk with world leaders after others have made such an issue of her "foreign sightseeing experience" nee Foreign Policy Experience. That and after Sarkozy has recently already made the comments about Obama's thoughts on Iran, coupled of course with her own vanity/Diva complex, probably made her predisposed to believe it was real. She just made for easy pickings.

I will not vote for obama (this does not make me racist,so don't EVEN go there)
I will not vote for obama

from a redneck in a blue state
you can't change my mind
Im voting my conscience,not my party
A right wing "nut job" conservative
A bible thumping christan
I love my country and the US military

I can't believe what I'm reading! The greatest intellects of the western world.You take so much for granted!

I have heard some bad mouth this great country,and despise the US military,which has made this country what it is, putting down people who don't share you points of view,or that do not have your intellectual ability,(and make fun of as if it were a sport),and make judgements of people who worship a Holy God,claiming that it is a form of mental illness!

Do you think you are BETTER? Just because you hold several degrees,wrote five books,were on the david letterman show,and have risen to celebrity status?
Does this make you better?
Does having a superior intellect or having a HOT wife,girlfriend,mistress,make you better??
Were not all men created equal?

What is this? Have you lost your bearings? I love this country,perhaps you don't that is your choice. I serve this great country, I am glad to be a soilder,a patriot,and american and I would lay down my life for yours,so that you may enjoy the freedoms you take so much for granted.How many of you would make the same claim?

I pledge alligence to the flag, I don't fall down and worship it. Sure the US military isn't perfect,nor is any university,college,job, paycheck,wife,person."All have fallen,not one is good,no not one". So we live in a fallen world and we live in a fallen country, and so we have to appoint fallen people to govern us,no one is perfect.

So instead of blindly supporting one candidate,have a look at the other.Throw all bias out the window,forget what I say,what your woman says,what your friends say,what your boss says,what your party says, research more than you have and if you decided you are voting for Obama, then disregard this little address.

By the way,the majority of the military does not like or trust Obama.
SEMPER FI

Last edited:
You failed to say why you aren't voting for Obama or why you're voting, I assume, for McCain.

Jon_ said:
SEMPER FI
BTW, military personnel deployed in the Middle East are contributing to Obama 5-6 times the money that they have given to McCain.

You may have some insight that we do not have, but when people talk with their pocketbooks, it's a pretty fair indication of their sincerity.

OK. I'll be curious. 51% or 92% or is it a case of an army of ONE?

Jon_ said:
SEMPER FI

When you invoke the military, one has to be careful to point out who in the military you are discussing.

If it is the officer corps, then they are almost 100% Republican. This means that their support for McCain would be taken for granted. If only 90% supported McCain, that would be shocking.

More enlisted men support Obama.

And even more National Guards support Obama.

mgb_phys said:

It is not the first time al-Qaeda and its allies have weighed in on a Western election. Bin Laden released a video message Oct. 29, 2004, days before the U.S. presidential election, warning of plans for further attacks on U.S. targets. Some strategists for Sen. John F. Kerry (Mass.), the Democratic nominee, have said the timing of the message tipped the balance toward Bush, who defined himself as the anti-terrorism candidate.

BBC news also had something similar.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/us_elections_2008/7684782.stm

I don't think it's good that Al-Qaeda can easily manipulate American politics.

Last edited:
Jon_ said:
Wow! In that case, they must be really nuts to do this...
Troops serving abroad have given nearly six times as much money to Obama's presidential campaign as they have to McCain's, the Center for Responsive Politics said.

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080814/military_donations.html

Ivan Seeking said:
- the difference between support in word only, and truly dedicated support.

Nice avatar, Ivan...
Nice avatar, Ivan...
Nice avatar, Ivan...
Nice avatar, Ivan...
Nice avatar, Ivan...

lisab said:
Nice avatar, Ivan...
Nice avatar, Ivan...
Nice avatar, Ivan...
Nice avatar, Ivan...
Nice avatar, Ivan...

I guess it suppose to hypnotize McCain supporters :smile:

Palin in elite company - linked indelibly in my mind now with Britney Spears as the only other celebrity that didn't catch on they were being punked until they had to be told.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jcuh9175VnA

Sadly it turns out Paris Hilton just may have been a better choice than Caribou Barbi.

You just can't buy publicity like this on morning network TV the day before the election.

Ivan Seeking said:
- the difference between support in word only, and truly dedicated support.

i'm sure they realize that McCain has never been pro-enlisted, even though he's pro-military. if I'm not mistaken, he's blocked legislation that would improve VA and GI Bill type benefits. i believe the reasoning with the anti-re-education move is that it would hurt re-enlistment, and therefore hurt the military. they want guys to feel trapped and with no other options.

lisab said:
Nice avatar, Ivan...
Nice avatar, Ivan...
Nice avatar, Ivan...
Nice avatar, Ivan...
Nice avatar, Ivan...

thank you
thank you
thank you
thank you

rootX said:
I guess it suppose to hypnotize McCain supporters :smile:

And it worked!

I do have to wonder about Palin. Based on her lecture at her church, she believes that she and her fellow believers can see the future. Does she find herself in the throws of a spiritual crisis today?

Ivan Seeking said:
And it worked!

I do have to wonder about Palin. Based on her lecture at her church, she believes that she and her fellow believers can see the future. Does she find herself in the throws of a spiritual crisis today?

I don't think so. This whole VP pick has given her massive publicity. She's a politician, this has been a great thing for her.

drankin said:
I don't think so. This whole VP pick has given her massive publicity. She's a politician, this has been a great thing for her.

She will be blamed for McCain's loss as the Republicans try to find their souls. The centrists know that Palin is symbolic of the problem with the entire party.

Ivan Seeking said:
She will be blamed for McCain's loss as the Republicans try to find their souls. The centrists know that Palin is symbolic of the problem with the entire party.

I think her National future is toast. She just doesn't have the gravitas or grasp for being able to engage on the issues. She needs years of study before trying to come back.

That's about like expecting Britney Spears to go for a degree in Quantum Mechanics. (No insult intended to those studying quantum mechanics I should be quick to add.)

If Stevens wins the election for the Alaskan senate seat, he'll be removed and I think Alaskan law dictates there to be a special election. Palin will probably run as the Republican candidate and win a senate seat to position herself for 2012

Is there any real chance of Palin being nominated in 2012? I don't have a good sense of Republican Party politics...are there enough centrists dissatisfied with her that they would vote against her in primaries?

Office_Shredder said:
If Stevens wins the election for the Alaskan senate seat, he'll be removed and I think Alaskan law dictates there to be a special election. Palin will probably run as the Republican candidate and win a senate seat to position herself for 2012

She could of course. But I don't think she will.

I think she runs a bit of a risk in doing that so soon after losing the election for VP. I would suspect she would do better to consolidate her reputation again after being such a public joke and wait for Lisa Murkowski's seat to come up in 2 years.

It doesn't just matter how many people vote against her, it matters how many people are running against her too. She could wrap up the whole evangelical vote, which very well might constitute half the party. It doesn't necessarily means she'd have a good shot in the general election, but the Republican party's going to have an identity crisis relating to whether it continues going down the same path it has the past eight years, and the question is whether that will carry through to the 2012 primaries.

If Obama has a strong first term, it would be throwing sheep to the slaughter anyway, which should make for an interesting dynamic (that never stopped Walter Mondale though)

EDIT TO ADD:
I think she runs a bit of a risk in doing that so soon after losing the election for VP. I would suspect she would do better to consolidate her reputation again after being such a public joke and wait for Lisa Murkowski's seat to come up in 2 years.

It doesn't matter if you're a national joke as long as you're still popular in your state... the latest I remember reading she still has an approval rating of approximately 2/3s in Alaska (not as high as before the election, but enough to win a senate seat)

Unless he gets caught with a girl guide in the oval office, Obama is a two term shoe-in.
So the next republican candidate is a sacrificial victim, somebody in the GOP might decide that it is a good way destroying the conservatives before fronting a young charismatic more centrist leader in '16.
That's also what the British conservatives did after the Blair 97 victory.

Last edited: