Palin pick an insult to our intelligence

• News
  • Thread starter physucsc11
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Intelligence
In summary: I guess you could say that I was surprised that the information released about her turned out to be such a non-issue to the American people. In summary, the VP pick of Sarah Palin has been largely successful in attracting women voters to the McCain campaign. However, the media's initial response was mostly in support of Mrs. Palin, and there was little questioning of her ability or experience.
AlaskaDailyNews said:
Audiences gobble up latest Palin interview

BACKFIRE: Camera catches slaughter of turkeys after governor's playful pardon.

By SEAN COCKERHAM
scockerham@adn.com

Published: November 22nd, 2008 02:33 AM
Last Modified: November 22nd, 2008 03:06 AM

It's being called "gobblegate," "the interview of death," and "Silence of the Turkeys."

Gov. Sarah Palin granted a Thanksgiving pardon to a turkey at a Mat-Su poultry farm on Thursday, a photo-op associated with presidents but done by governors as well.

...Anthony Schmidt, owner of Triple D Farm & Hatchery, where this all took place, said Friday that animal rights activists from around the nation had been calling all day to "say how horrible it was they were killing that turkey and people could see it."

"And I guess, to some degree I understand that. If I had my choice it wouldn't have been aired, that part of it. But, on the other hand, that's just life," he said. "Americans are going to consume 46 million turkeys at Thanksgiving. I'm only doing six or seven hundred. Give somebody else a hard time."

...McAllister said the slaughter had not started at the time the cameras were set up. He said that, while the cameras were rolling and a worker at the farm began placing turkeys head-down in a big metal cone to cut their necks and drain blood, Kris Perry, the governor's friend and director of her Anchorage office, "was actually physically nudging (the KTUU videographer), saying 'look at this,' and encouraging him not to frame the shot to include that, or to do something about it later, where he wouldn't use it," McAllister said.
http://www.adn.com/sarah-palin/story/597969.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
LowlyPion said:
You should warn people about what they will see in watching the video.

If beheading turkeys and draining their blood makes anyone squeamish ... look away.

That Sarah Palin ignored the whole thing and chatted up reporters is a monument to her apparent lack of sensitivity.

Then I'm glad I used the MSNBC sanitized version instead of the version originally shown on Alaska TV. After the fact, even the local station realized the unedited version might be a little extreme for city folk, even in Alaska.

I'm getting suspicious. Anyone notice the reporter's question: "Do you see any state programs being put on the chopping block?"

Was this a set up?

Looks like there was a PAC that ended with too much money after the election and this is what they decided to do with it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBoJDXW-ly0

Yeah. Thanks for the memories. I used to think Dan Quayle was about as dumb a candidate as we'd likely ever see for national office. And then along came Bush II.

But Sarah Palin, you have been a bottomless pit of entertainment for me as you thrashed ineptly throughout the campaign from one issue to another. Now that the danger of your assuming office anytime soon has passed, it allows me no end of relief.

When I say grace at dinner next Thursday, you will be in my thoughts that as bad as the economy may be at this time, the nation at least dodged you.

LowlyPion said:
Looks like there was a PAC that ended with too much money after the election and this is what they decided to do with it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBoJDXW-ly0

Yeah. Thanks for the memories. I used to think Dan Quayle was about as dumb a candidate as we'd likely ever see for national office. And then along came Bush II.

But Sarah Palin, you have been a bottomless pit of entertainment for me as you thrashed ineptly throughout the campaign from one issue to another. Now that the danger of your assuming office anytime soon has passed, it allows me no end of relief.

When I say grace at dinner next Thursday, you will be in my thoughts that as bad as the economy may be at this time, the nation at least dodged you.

Let's be honest... a PAC ending up with money at the end of the campaign? Clearly unorganized

AlaskaDailyNews said:
A Palin Thanksgiving: Thank-you notes or contempt charges?

Posted: November 24, 2008 - 11:15 am
From Kyle Hopkins in Anchorage --

The Palin wars continue this week, at home and Outside. The governor's friends and foes will both find something to like.

First, a right-wing political action committee plans to air a series of commercials thanking Gov. Sarah Palin. One Thanksgiving-themed ad begins with soft music and images of cooked turkey, as someone thanks Palin for her "passionate, hopeful and articulate advocacy of common-sense conservative values."

Based in California, the group is called "Our Country Deserves Better." On its Web site, the PAC talks about stopping illegal immigration and liberal judges, and says the country needs a president who embraces a "culture of life." It lists its one objective as defeating Barack Obama in the presidential election, but has now turned to promoting Palin.

And at home, a group led at least partly by left-leaning bloggers and that staged a big anti-Palin rally during the election - Alaskans for Truth - is calling on the Legislature to run with the Legislative Council's "Troopergate" report, which found Palin abused her power. (As opposed to the conflicting Personnel Board investigation, that cleared her.)

The group calls on lawmakers to:
-- Censure Palin.
-- Seek contempt charges against Todd Palin and state officials "who willingly ignored the Legislative Council's subpoenas during the investigation."
-- Hold hearings on whether the governor and Todd Palin committed perjury in their statements to the Personnel Board's investigator.
-- Investigate whether Attorney General Talis Colberg committed witness tampering.
http://community.adn.com/adn/node/134880

A little follow-up. Home for the Holidays.
Meth Lab in the garage? Wasilla is Meth Capital of Alaska they say.
AlaskaDailyNews said:
Levi Johnston's mother hit with drug charges

Arrested: her son was in the spotlight as father of Bristol Palin's baby.

By ZAZ HOLLANDER

Published: December 19th, 2008 12:38 AM
Last Modified: December 19th, 2008 01:10 PM

WASILLA -- A 42-year-old Wasilla woman was arrested Thursday at her home by Alaska State Troopers with a search warrant in an undercover drug investigation. Sherry L. Johnston was charged with six felony counts of misconduct involving a controlled substance.

Johnston is the mother of Levi Johnston, the Wasilla 18-year-old who received international attention in September when Gov. Sarah Palin and her husband, Todd, announced their teenage daughter was pregnant and he was the father. Bristol Palin, 18, is due on Saturday, according to a recent interview with the governor's father, Chuck Heath.

Troopers served the warrant at Johnston's home at the "conclusion of an undercover narcotics investigation," said a statement issued Thursday by the troopers as part of the normal daily summary of activity around the state.

Troopers charged Johnston with second-degree misconduct involving a controlled substance -- generally manufacturing or delivering drugs -- as well as fourth-degree misconduct involving controlled substances, or possession.

Troopers released no other information, including the kind or amount of drugs, because details could jeopardize an ongoing investigation, spokeswoman Megan Peters said.

Asked how long the investigation had proceeded before Johnston's arrest, Peters would only say "a while."

The Palmer District Attorney's office had no comment.

Sherry Johnston was arrested around noon and booked at Mat-Su Pretrial Facility, according to a booking officer there. She was released on a $5,000 unsecured bond just after 2 p.m.

No charging documents had been filed at Palmer courthouse by the end of the day, a clerk said.

Levi Johnston sat with Bristol and the rest of the Palin family in St. Paul, Minn., during Gov. Palin's speech to the Republican National Convention, and he joined the family on the stage afterwards.

When asked about the arrest, Palin's spokesman, Bill McAllister, issued the following statement by e-mail: "This is not a state government matter. Therefore the governor's communications staff will not be providing comment or scheduling interview opportunities."

Johnston didn't come to the door of her home on Caribou Loop Road outside Wasilla on Thursday afternoon. A teenage boy who answered the door said he couldn't provide any information.
http://www.adn.com/news/alaska/crime/story/628010.html

And in other news, supposedly Palin and the "first dude" may be getting divorced, seems he may not be needed anymore with the book deals and movie offers.

Evo said:
And in other news, supposedly Palin and the "first dude" may be getting divorced, seems he may not be needed anymore with the book deals and movie offers.

You know it's difficult for me to relate to these people.

There's a certain je ne sais qua hill-billy gypsyness to the way they conduct their lives.

Skin a moose, pass the Jack Daniels, it's dinner time at the dysfunctional Palin homestead.

Imagine that they would be imposing themselves as National Icons, projecting their trashy ways to the world at large as the best of American values. America's new royalty straight from the set of the Price is Right and Queen for a Day.

What in the heck was McCain thinking?

LowlyPion said:
You know it's difficult for me to relate to these people.

There's a certain je ne sais qua hill-billy gypsyness to the way they conduct their lives.

Skin a moose, pass the Jack Daniels, it's dinner time at the dysfunctional Palin homestead.

Imagine that they would be imposing themselves as National Icons, projecting their trashy ways to the world at large as the best of American values. America's new royalty straight from the set of the Price is Right and Queen for a Day.

What in the heck was McCain thinking?

yeah, we need only good people in government, like kennedys.

Proton Soup said:
yeah, we need only good people in government, like kennedys.

They haven't all been bad.

Just like the Bushes haven't all been bad. (Unfortunately this doesn't seem to apply to the ones that made it to the Presidency.)

LowlyPion said:
They haven't all been bad.

Just like the Bushes haven't all been bad. (Unfortunately this doesn't seem to apply to the ones that made it to the Presidency.)

they seem to have more than their share of drunk-driving and girl-abusing activities. and the preponderance of illness makes one think of inbreeding. heck, even their patriarch was a bootlegger. but they've got better PR and so most americans don't automatically think of them as white trash.

LowlyPion said:
A little follow-up. Home for the Holidays.
Meth Lab in the garage? Wasilla is Meth Capital of Alaska they say.

http://www.adn.com/news/alaska/crime/story/628010.html

I thought that was SLC?
Any way, I heard on the news it was supposedly oxycotton. Rockstar partying Rush style... Rush Limbaugh that is.

Proton Soup said:
they seem to have more than their share of drunk-driving and girl-abusing activities. and the preponderance of illness makes one think of inbreeding. heck, even their patriarch was a bootlegger. but they've got better PR and so most americans don't automatically think of them as white trash.

Are you talking about the Palins?

LowlyPion said:
Are you talking about the Palins?

:rofl:

Just your average family.

The mother of Levi Johnston, the Wasilla teenager who is the father of Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin's daughter's unborn child, was arrested Thursday on drug charges.

The Anchorage Daily News reported Friday that Sherry L. Johnston, 42, was arrested by Alaska State Troopers at her Wasilla home and charged with six felony counts of misconduct involving a controlled substance.

The arrest was the result of an "undercover narcotics investigation," according to police.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2008/12/19/levi-johnstons-mother-arrested-drug-charges/

To be fair, Palin's family had nothing to do with this and probably neither did that guy who boned Palin's daughter.

WarPhalange said:
To be fair, Palin's family had nothing to do with this and probably neither did that guy who boned Palin's daughter.

Yeah you're right. They aren't part of the Palin family. They're just palling around with the Palins.

Hey that sounds like the name for a sitcom. Palling Around with the Palins.

The real kicker would be if it was trooper Wooten that made the arrest.

Class warfare now? The subtext being that the Press has it in for hillbillies?
ADN said:
On Kennedy: “I’ve been interested also to see how Caroline Kennedy will be handled and if she will be handled with kid gloves or if she will be under such a microscope also. It’s going to be interesting to see how that plays out and I think that as we watch that we will perhaps be able to prove that there is a class issue here also that was such a factor in the scrutiny of my candidacy versus, say, the scrutiny of what her candidacy may be.
http://community.adn.com/adn/node/136392

Sarah Palin: The gift that keeps on giving.

Sarah Palin was easily the most qualified candidate out of McCain, Obama, and Biden. And yes, there was a class issue, as the press made great fun of her more accented way of speaking.

WheelsRCool said:
Sarah Palin was easily the most qualified candidate out of McCain, Obama, and Biden. And yes, there was a class issue, as the press made great fun of her more accented way of speaking.
Thanks for the satire! Gosh and golly, she was a real smart lady who would have been a nice ornament on our governation if McCain and she had been erected.

turbo-1 said:
would have been a nice ornament on our governation if McCain and she had been erected.

She's actually pretty hot from a purely physical standpoint. She could probably erect a dead man, as long as her mouth was glued shut. McCain, however, must be past erection possibilities. There's dead, and then there's... what the hell do you call it when someone is too old to be dead?

Danger said:
She's actually pretty hot from a purely physical standpoint.

Maybe I can't get past her words, her backwoods stupidity, and her slimy agenda, but I find the woman to be completely repulsive. And now, just to top it all off, she's a whiner.

Thanks for the satire! Gosh and golly, she was a real smart lady who would have been a nice ornament on our governation if McCain and she had been erected.

The fact is, she was the most qualified. And she also had to actually answer questions on policies.

Ivan Seeking said:
Maybe I can't get past her words, her backwoods stupidity, and her slimy agenda, but I find the woman to be completely repulsive. And now, just to top it all off, she's a whiner.

C'mon mate, yeesh. The only ones who were repulsive, and stupid, were, although I wish him well for the sake of the country, what appears (or at least can be argued) to be a man who is an arrogant, ignorant, elitist, racist, lying politician who just got elected by a complacent, worshipful media who never bothered to do any homework or ask any real questions of him whatsoever. NOTHING. He got a free pass. President-elect Obama announced during his campaign some of the most assinine economic and foreign policy ideas ever to be put forth, then when questioned about a few of them a couple of times folded like cardboard. He either was lying to the American public, saying what needed to be said to get elected, or he is a strict ideologue.

Then you have his Vice Presidential pick, Senator Biden, a man who has been wrong on every major foreign policy issue of the past two decades and who had to suspend his 1988 presidential campaign because he was caught lying about his background. He is a proven gaffe-machine who has a reputation for over-exaggerating his own credentials.

Then there was Senator McCain, another buffoon.

As for Palin, she has actually run some things (a town and a state), and actually fought corruption, within her own party, rather than just utilized the system to advance her own career, as our current President-elect. She proved herself to be able to handle extreme pressure, and a very quick study. To say she has "backwoods stupidity" I think is the height of ignorance; good grief, she debated Senator Biden and was a match when "experience-wise," he should have been able to crush her, instead making a huge number of whoppers. Claiming she has a slimy agenda, when we have a President-elect who literally supports allowing born children to die, and who has never once bucked organized labor (that's like a Republican who has never bucked Big Business), I consider the height of hypocrisy.

So IMO let's lay off this one-sided Palin-bashing. She isn't on the national scene as any kind of threat to the Left right now anyhow. And while it's probably a bad move to whine, I think you'd be antsy too if you'd experienced the media hostility she did. She was vetted more in weeks than President-elect Obama was during the ENTIRE CAMPAIGN. If it was not for Fox News, that evil fascist news arm of the Republican party (eye roll), and Sean Hannity, that rabid Nazi (bigger eye roll), we would not even have known half the things we did about him (to which he didn't answer anything either, and completely avoided, like the plague, what was the most watched cable news channel in America).

Ivan Seeking said:
I find the woman to be completely repulsive.
Tina Fey though... :tongue2:

Wheels said:
She proved herself to be able to handle extreme pressure, and a very quick study.
Sorry but I never heard a single interview or debate where she seemed to show either of these traits. The only people I have heard defend her abilities seem to be those who were taken by her "Smalltown America Charm". NONE of my local conservative comentators had anything nice to say about her and they were all angry with McCain for screwing up his campaign by putting her on the ticket.

WheelsRCool said:
She proved herself to be able to handle extreme pressure, and a very quick study.

That would be a more believable statement if Palin retained the capability to speak in complete sentences when given a question she doesn't know the answer to. Poise in the face of pressure definitely isn't her strong suit.

WheelsRCool said:
OH Thank you. I really needed a good laugh in the morning.

but,
now I have to clean coffee off my monitor

Sorry but I never heard a single interview or debate where she seemed to show either of these traits.

Well that's the thing, she had to learn in weeks what the other candidates had been able to be learning for years b/c of the length of this campaign. She messed up in some interviews, but did okay in the VP debate, when there was immense pressure on her over possibly screwing that up. During her RNC speech, her Tele-Prompter froze up, so she had to go via memory for that.

The only people I have heard defend her abilities seem to be those who were taken by her "Smalltown America Charm". NONE of my local conservative comentators had anything nice to say about her and they were all angry with McCain for screwing up his campaign by putting her on the ticket.

As a VP choice, McCain could have done far better, but remember, this is politics, and two white guys on the ticket probably just wouldn't have worked.

That would be a more believable statement if Palin retained the capability to speak in complete sentences when given a question she doesn't know the answer to. Poise in the face of pressure definitely isn't her strong suit.

It's something she needs to practice. The thing is, speaking in front of a camera, while a good political skill, and necessary, doesn't gauge intelligence IMO. Look at Caroline Kennedy. She graduated from Columbia Law School and has written law books. Yet she spoke like a 7th grader when interviewed. Does this mean she is stupid? No. Does it mean she needs practice speaking for politics? YEAH.

Palin I view as the same. She uses the word "Also" far too much, which garnered her ridicule (and rightly so on that aspect), but then Caroline Kennedy used the phrase "Y'know" like every other sentence as well.

WheelsRCool said:
Well that's the thing, she had to learn in weeks what the other candidates had been able to be learning for years b/c of the length of this campaign.
So the fact that she is obviously unqualified, according to what you just said, makes her a viable candidate? Do you realize how ridiculous that is? "Oh, besides the fact that she has no understanding of national government or world affairs, she's qualified for the Vice-Presidency". :rolleyes:

Evo said:
So the fact that she is obviously unqualified, according to what you just said, makes her a viable candidate? Do you realize how ridiculous that is? "Oh, besides the fact that she has no understanding of national government or world affairs, she's qualified for the Vice-Presidency".

No, the fact that she was unqualified yet still more qualified than the other three is what I was saying. Senator Obama showed a lack of understanding of world affairs early on (Iran is a tiny country?), and a complete lack of understanding of economics and foreign policy (as if we could really disarm the world of nukes, good grief). If he could defend his views on economics and foreign policy, then he should have gone onto some more conservative shows and did just that. Instead, he was one of the biggest experts I've seen at using lots of words to say ultimately nothing. He also avoided news shows it seems like the plague, and went onto mostly celebrity shows. I really don't know how people cannot see through him. He was a textbook politician. Speak in platititudes, don't answer questions, use fanciful rhetoric, avoid anyone critical of you completely, appear on celebrity shows a whole lot, etc...never mind you are running for the most powerful position in the world in a time of turbulence.

WheelsRCool said:
No, the fact that she was unqualified yet still more qualified than the other three is what I was saying. .
Seriously, provide actual data to back this up. Exactly where is she more qualified? Where are her qualifications and knowledge of national government and world affairs? She proved her lack of knowledge in interviews. The woman is a parrot.

Evo said:
Seriously, provide actual data to back this up. Exactly where is she more qualified? Where are her qualifications and knowledge of national government and world affairs? She proved her lack of knowledge in interviews.

She ran a town for eight years, then a state, which gives her more executive experience than any of them. If any kind of crap happens, it's the mayor or governor who has to take charge, not a senator. She has fought corruption. She has enough common sense to know that government is not the solution to most problems. As for national government and world affairs, I do not know. What I do know is she was just as knowledgeable about the subject as VP-elect Biden during the VP debate, and most likely President-elect Obama in his earlier campaign days; he was likely more knowledgeable in the latter stages because he had had time to learn.

The woman is a parrot.

So were the Democratic candidates (in particular Biden!).

WheelsRCool said:
She ran a town for eight years, then a state, which gives her more executive experience than any of them.
Oh please, my office complex at 15,000 employees has three times the number of people in her town. Does that make the office manager eligible for VP? It's not surprising that the state of Alaska didn't collapse, the infrasturcture sees to that. Did you read about what decisions she had to make as Governor concerning the state National Guard? Nothing. Look it up, I think they put out a building fire or something.

She never took charge of anything. And she back stabbed a friend to get ahead in politics, turning him in for using government e-mail in a political campaign, something which I believe she also did.

Last edited:
WheelsRCool:

As an Alaskan myself, I'm taking Evo's side of your discussion so far.

Obama is a much more versatile leader than Palin. Palin has the support of a MUCH smaller niche of people, where Obama has just about every significant niche in the US.

Also, most of us aren't very happy with Palin's work in Alaska (for instance, the Bridge to Nowhere) but I haven't heard the complaints from Obama's state yet, so I don't know.

Palin is also a terrible supporter for science (which I happen to be involved in).

A lot of your judgments just two post's back seem to be drawn from Obama's speeches. If you really think Palin is a better speaker than Obama then we don't really have anything to discuss anymore, because you're off your rocker.

A couple other things:

You can't see Putin from Alaska.
Fruit flies contribute a lot to human medical research.
Alaska's governer office provides no experience in foreign affairs.