Parabola problem - some data given.

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a power line being strung between two mountains with a sag to overcome tension. The question asks for an equation for the profile of the wire in a parabolic shape, but it is pointed out that the actual shape will be a catenary. There is confusion about how to find a parabolic equation for a non-parabolic curve. It is concluded that there is enough information to fit a parabola to the curve.
yoghu

Homework Statement

Essentially there is a power line which must be strung between posts on two mountains which are 1669.602m apart.

The first mountain is 5m higher than the second.

To overcome tension the wire is strung with a sag, 1m of sag for every 75m, or part thereof. This sag is relative to the lower pylon.

Determine an equation for the profile of the wire between the two mountains, if the arc is to be in a PARABOLIC shape.

Homework Equations

I've worked out that 1669.602/75 = (22. something) which means there must be 23m of sag, as it states part thereof. Relative to the lower pylon, I understand this to mean the turning point will be 23m below the smaller mountain.

Due to the difference in heights, this is obviously not a symmetrical parabola.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried letting the turning point be the origin, and having 3 points
(X2 - 1669.602 , 28)
(1669.602-X1, 23)
(0,0)
where x2 is the distance from the turning point to the second mountain, and X1 is the distance between the first mountain to the turning point.

I've also tried letting the first mountain be the origin, with 3 points
(0,0)
(?,-28) - minimum point
(1669.602,-5)

But I'm very stuck on what to do with these possible points. Please help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
but the arc will NOT be a parabola ! It will be a catenary.

phinds said:
but the arc will NOT be a parabola ! It will be a catenary.

I know, but the question specifically asks for a parabolic equation.

It also asks to discuss limitations of this shape, so that's where I'd bring in your point.

yoghu said:
I know, but the question specifically asks for a parabolic equation.

It also asks to discuss limitations of this shape, so that's where I'd bring in your point.

But how can you produce an equation for a parabola to describe a curve that isn't a parabola? What would be the POINT of such an exercise?

phinds said:
But how can you produce an equation for a parabola to describe a curve that isn't a parabola? What would be the POINT of such an exercise?

I have no idea, and I don't know why.

Do you have any idea on how to do it??

phinds said:

It's a mathematical exercise in curve fitting. The mountain/powerline theme is just window dressing that provides a minds-eye picture of the setup.

gneill said:
It's a mathematical exercise in curve fitting. The mountain/powerline theme is just window dressing that provides a minds-eye picture of the setup.

So is one then supposed to first find the correct curve (the catenary) and then use that do find the closest possible parabola curve? Seems like an amazing waste of time. What am I missing?

phinds said:
So is one then supposed to first find the correct curve (the catenary) and then use that do find the closest possible parabola curve? Seems like an amazing waste of time. What am I missing?

There is enough information to fit a parabola; consider that you effectively have three given points through which the curve passes.

gneill said:
There is enough information to fit a parabola; consider that you effectively have three given points through which the curve passes.

DOH ! NOW I see what you meant in post #6. I'm just overcomplicating things. Thanks for the clarification.

What is a parabola?

A parabola is a symmetrical curve that is formed when a plane intersects with a cone at a right angle. It is a common shape in mathematics and is represented by the equation y = ax^2 + bx + c.

How do you solve a parabola problem?

To solve a parabola problem, you need to first identify the given data such as the coordinates of the vertex, the focus, and the directrix. Then, substitute the values into the equation y = ax^2 + bx + c and solve for the unknown variables.

What is the significance of the vertex in a parabola?

The vertex of a parabola is the point where the curve changes direction. It is the highest or lowest point on the curve and is represented by the coordinates (h,k). The vertex is important because it helps determine the direction and shape of the parabola.

How is a parabola used in real life?

Parabolas have many real-life applications, such as in architecture, engineering, and physics. They are used to design bridges, satellite dishes, and reflectors, to name a few. They are also used to model projectile motion, such as the path of a thrown ball or a rocket launch.

Can a parabola have negative values?

Yes, a parabola can have negative values. This occurs when the coefficient a in the equation y = ax^2 + bx + c is negative. The parabola will open downwards and have a maximum point.