Parabolas and hyperbolas - how do you find them?

• Thread starter The_ArtofScience
  • Start date
  • Tags
    hyperbolas
In summary, finding equations for parabolas and other conic sections requires more than just two points, as there are five parameters that need to be specified. This can be done by plugging in the coordinates of five points into the general equation and solving for the parameters.
The_ArtofScience
Finding linear equations for initial conditions has never been a problem from me since is easy to see (x1, y1) and (x2, y2) can be plugged into the slope equation. But what if I'm looking for a parabolic or even a hyperbolic line, how do I then find its equation with the initial condition that it must have some (x,y) and (x2, y2) points?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The general form for conic sections (parabolas, hyperbolas, ellipses, circles, two lines) looks like ax2+bxy+cy2+mx+ny+k=0. Since you can divide by any constant, there are five parameters. Therefore you need to specify the curve at five points.

Well, given that I still don't see a way to make sense out of that general equation since conic secs don't have an actual slope (unless one were to find its many tangents). I'm convinced that there is a way to solve for a parabolic equation given two sets of coordinates though

You plug the coordinates into the equation for each of the 5 points. That gives you 5 equations and 5 unknowns, which you can solve for.

Eg: suppose the curve passes through the following points (im just making these points up):
(1,2); (0,0); (3,4); (-1,3); (-2,-3).

Plugging each point into the equation
[tex]x^2+b \cdot x \cdot y+c \cdot y^2+m \cdot x+n \cdot y+k=0[/tex],

you get the following 5 equations:
[tex]1^2+b \cdot 1 \cdot 2+c \cdot 2^2+m \cdot 1+n \cdot 2+k=0[/tex]
[tex]0^2+b \cdot 0 \cdot 0+c \cdot 0^2+m \cdot 0+n \cdot 0+k=0[/tex]
[tex]3^2+b \cdot 3 \cdot 4+c \cdot 4^2+m \cdot 3+n \cdot 4+k=0[/tex]
[tex](-1)^2+b \cdot (-1) \cdot 3+c \cdot 3^2+m \cdot (-1)+n \cdot 3+k=0[/tex]
[tex](-2)^2+b \cdot (-2) \cdot (-3)+c \cdot (-3)^2+m \cdot (-2)+n \cdot (-3)+k=0[/tex]

Simplifying,
[tex]1+2 b+4 c+m +2 n+k=0[/tex]
[tex]k=0[/tex]
[tex]9+12 b+16 c+3 m+4 n+k=0[/tex]
[tex]1-3 b +9 c-1 m+3 n+k=0[/tex]
[tex]4+6 b+9 c-2 m-3 n+k=0[/tex]

Now you can solve these equations for b,c,m,n, and k.

----

I went ahead and solved this system of equations since it isn't much trouble, and got the following answers:
b = 116/33
c = -95/33
m = -133/11
n = 257/33
k = 0

So,
[tex]x^2+\frac{116}{33}x \cdot y-\frac{95}{33} y^2-\frac{133}{11} x+\frac{257}{33} y=0[/tex]

Plotting the resulting figure, it looks like a hyperbola, and it passes through all the points we want. Whew!
http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/8662/hyperbolapl5.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry that you had to go through all that trouble maze. Thanks for the example

The_ArtofScience said:
Well, given that I still don't see a way to make sense out of that general equation since conic secs don't have an actual slope (unless one were to find its many tangents). I'm convinced that there is a way to solve for a parabolic equation given two sets of coordinates though
Then you are convinced wrong. y= x2 and y= 2x2- 1
both pass through the two points (1, 1) and (-1, 1).

Even given the information that the graph is a parabola, concave upward, with vertical axis, the two points (1, 1) and (-1, 1) are not enough to define a specific parabola.

1. What is a parabola and how do you find it?

A parabola is a U-shaped curve that is formed by the intersection of a plane and a cone. It is a type of conic section and can be found by using its standard equation, y = ax^2 + bx + c, where a, b, and c are constants that determine the shape and position of the parabola.

2. What is a hyperbola and how do you find it?

A hyperbola is a symmetrical open curve that is formed by the intersection of a plane and a double cone. It is also a type of conic section and can be found by using its standard equation, (x-h)^2/a^2 - (y-k)^2/b^2 = 1, where (h,k) is the center of the hyperbola and a and b are constants that determine the shape and orientation of the hyperbola.

3. How do you graph a parabola or hyperbola?

To graph a parabola, you can plot points using the standard equation or use its vertex form, y = a(x-h)^2 + k, where (h,k) is the vertex of the parabola. For a hyperbola, you can plot points using its standard equation or use its center form, (x-h)^2/a^2 - (y-k)^2/b^2 = 1, where (h,k) is the center of the hyperbola.

4. What are the key features of a parabola and hyperbola?

The key features of a parabola include its vertex, axis of symmetry, and x-intercepts (if any). For a hyperbola, the key features include its center, vertices, foci, asymptotes, and x- and y-intercepts (if any).

5. How are parabolas and hyperbolas used in real life?

Parabolas and hyperbolas have many real-life applications, such as in physics (for projectile motion and satellite orbits), engineering (for designing bridges and buildings), and economics (for modeling supply and demand curves). They are also used in optics (for the shape of mirrors and lenses) and in technology (for designing antennas and satellite dishes).